Beijing | Hong Kong | Shanghai
China is one of the fastest growing and most influential countries in the world, and a dynamic and exciting environment to conduct business. As business in China becomes more complex, more cross-border and more exposed to market and regulatory risks, Shearman & Sterling’s clients seek solutions to work both locally and internationally in time-efficient and cost-effective ways. These solutions can only come from years of experience in the market and from advisers who are dedicated to delivering the best results.
Shearman & Sterling has a long-standing commitment to China and for more than 30 years we have advised clients on the opportunities and challenges offered by China’s rapidly evolving markets. Over the decades, we have forged strong, long-term client relationships—more than just legal advisers, we see ourselves as a partner at every step of our clients’ business process. We work hard to understand each client’s business, industry and goals and are proud to deliver consistently first-rate legal advice that, most importantly, enables our clients to achieve their strategic business objectives.
Recently, in response to an expressed need by our clients for assistance with Hong Kong Stock Exchange listings, as well as capital markets and M&A transactions involving HK listed companies, we were one of the first US-headquartered firms to establish a Hong Kong law capability. This now enables us to provide seamless legal services in transactions involving both US and other bodies of law (Hong Kong, English). We offer “one-stop” legal services for clients looking to conduct business in Hong Kong or list on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
The Key Benefits Shearman & Sterling Provides in China
- One of the most experienced and long established international law firms in China—first office opened in Hong Kong in 1978 and we were one of the first international firms to establish a Beijing office approved and licensed by China’s Ministry of Justice in 1993. Shanghai office opened in 2007 in response to client demand
- Deliver an integrated execution capability to clients by working seamlessly across the three China offices in delivering both M&A and capital markets services
- Dedicated team of partners supported by one of the largest teams of Mandarin speaking lawyers among US firms in Greater China
- Market-leading Hong Kong law practice enabling us to advise our clients on Hong Kong law and offer “one-stop” legal services for listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Deep understanding of relevant regulatory environment and a long and solid track record of working closely and cooperatively with local counsel to resolve any China-related issues
- Consistently top tier ranked for Capital Markets, M&A and Projects in leading independent legal directories including Chambers Global, Chambers Asia, IFLR 1000 and Asia Pacific Legal 500
- We advise in a broad range of areas, including acquisition finance; debt and equity capital markets; direct investment; dispute resolution; mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures; private equity; project development and finance; and regulatory law
- We have been involved in some of Greater China’s largest, most high-profile and complex transactions
- The largest multinationals, leading Chinese corporates and financial institutions regularly choose us for their most important transactions
- We call on lawyers from other Shearman & Sterling offices throughout Asia, Europe and the United States to provide advice and support when required
View recent news and experience