The Fabric of Shearman & Sterling
At Shearman & Sterling, diversity is not simply a philosophy; it is about who we are and how we do business, both with our clients and with each other. We strongly believe that diversity in perspectives, backgrounds and experiences enhances the quality of our work and augments our lives, and we are resolute in our mission to continue to weave difference into the fabric of the firm.
We have determined that diversity is the best, most effective way of conducting business in today's global marketplace. Multifaceted and multicultural differences encourage new ideas and fresh viewpoints and foster a creative problem-solving environment, which supports our collaborative approach in the workplace. Moreover, they allow us to meet the full spectrum of our clients' needs and demands, especially as the firm maintains and advances its global footprint.
Shearman & Sterling's professionals form a remarkable mosaic of backgrounds, cultures, generations, ethnicities, races and sexual orientations. Their unique perspectives generate a firm culture that is both innovative and open. The results are tangible: better work product and a better work environment.
Our commitment to attracting, retaining and advancing a diverse population of top lawyers and administrative staff ensures that Shearman & Sterling will have the strongest possible platform from which to address its clients' increasingly complex legal matters and concerns.
Our Global Diversity & Inclusion Mission
- Foster a firm culture that supports and promotes diversity, so that all lawyers, legal assistants and staff feel they are included and valued.
- Facilitate diversity in all aspects of the firm's programs, administration and operations.
- Increase the recruitment, retention, development and promotion of lawyers, legal assistants and staff from diverse ethnic and cultural background.
- Promote diversity in the global legal community.
- Collaborate with clients, nonprofit organizations and bar associations to encourage diversity & inclusion awareness.