Building Diversity & Inclusion
At Shearman & Sterling we strongly believe that diversity in perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. Encouraging new ideas and fresh viewpoints is an integral part of how we do business—both with clients and colleagues—in today's global marketplace. Through well-developed strategies, we have implemented and support an array of diversity and inclusion initiatives that evoke involvement and opportunity at the firm. Ongoing projects include:
1L Shearman & Sterling/LCLD Scholars Program: This first year law school summer internship program provides 1L students with an outstanding opportunity to gain valuable experience and mentorship by participating in the firm's summer associate program, as well as the ability to participate in the LCLD Summer Workshop.
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee Summer Guest Lecture Series: On behalf of the firm, the Diversity & Inclusion Committee sponsors a luncheon each year for partners, associates and summer associates featuring distinguished and diverse members of the legal and business communities as guest speakers. This year, the Committee celebrated its 10th anniversary of hosting this lecture series.
- Inclusion Network Summer Events: The firm's inclusion networks host events for summer associates. Past events include:
- Annual Pride Luncheon, hosted by Sterling Pride, the firm's LGBT focused inclusion network
- Outing to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, a private shopping evening at BCBG and Wellness Session with Anything But the Gym, hosted by WISER (the Women's Initiative for Success, Excellence and Retention)
- Summer Boating Event and BBQ hosted by BLAQUE (Black Lawyers Aligned in the Quest for Excellence)
- Film screening and Reception hosted by AVALANCHE (Association of Various Asia-interested Lawyers Aligned for Nondiscrimination, Community, Honor and Excellence)
- On-Campus Recruiting: In search of the best and the brightest, we recruit our associates from law schools and universities, including 33 law schools in the US and Canada.
- International Associate Program: Our New York office hires lawyers qualified and practicing in countries around the world for a one-year internship.