Promoting Diversity in the Global Community
Pro Bono Work
As members of a global law firm, lawyers at Shearman & Sterling undertake pro bono matters that connect them to communities around the world. Serving the needs of individuals and groups with limited access to legal services gives our lawyers a more complete picture of the world, beyond the realm of corporate law, and encourages a diversity of viewpoints and experiences.
The range of our pro bono activities includes:
- In partnership with the advocacy group inMotion, Inc., Shearman & Sterling lawyers conduct workshops that guide women in domestic violence cases through divorce proceedings. We also represent several of these women in those proceedings.
- Shearman & Sterling lawyers represent individuals seeking political asylum in the United States. Petitioners come from a variety of countries, including Albania, Congo, Guatemala, Guinea, Pakistan and Rwanda.
- Since 2000, Shearman & Sterling lawyers have provided legal assistance to the Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), dedicating approximately 50,000 hours to the cause. Over 100 Shearman & Sterling attorneys have participated in this program.
- In partnership with the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, Shearman & Sterling is a partner in its national "Name Change Project."
- In partnership with the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Shearman & Sterling is a partner in its national nonpartisan "Election Protection Project."
- In partnership with LatinoJustice, Shearman & Sterling lawyers have provided pro bono assistance in connection with immigration and discrimination matters.
For more information on Shearman & Sterling's pro bono involvement, please see the Pro Bono section of this website.