Adam Hakki (New York-Litigation), partner and Global Head of Shearman & Sterling’s Litigation Group, was a faculty member at the Practising Law Institute’s Securities Litigation 2017: From Investigation to Trial, held on April 5, 2017 in New York. The faculty at the seminar includes prominent securities litigators, government regulators and in-house litigation personnel at major financial institutions.
The seminar focused on the engaging panel of expert practitioners taking participants through each step of a securities case: investigation, filing the complaint, motions, class certification, discovery, mediation, potential settlement and ultimately the trial.
Specifically, the program covered how to:
- Approach the initial investigation and work with state and federal regulators in the interests of your clients
- Assess the civil complaints and coordinate multi-district actions
- Litigate the case through the pleadings, discovery, class certification and summary judgment
- Approach mediation and settlement of a securities action
- Try a securities litigation or arbitration
- Approach and assess ethical issues associated with complex securities litigation