Shearman & Sterling lawyer Danforth Newcomb (New York-Litigation) received the “Outstanding Career Award” from Global Investigations Review (GIR) at a ceremony held on September 14.
With four decades of experience, Newcomb founded the anti-corruption practice at Shearman & Sterling and is one of the preeminent FCPA lawyers in the US. Over the course of his career, he has been approved by the United Nations as an expert on ethics and compliance and served as a Department of Justice and SEC-sanctioned FCPA compliance monitor. The US State Department appointed him as an anti-corruption expert and speaker in Indonesia, Vietnam and Laos. Under the auspices of the Central and East European Law Initiative Institute (CEELI), Newcomb has provided anti-corruption training to government enforcement officials from Ukraine, Moldova and Tunisia. His foreign anti-corruption experience began in 1976 with an SEC-mandated quasi-monitorship of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation that was a precursor for the FCPA. He also obtained an early (81-1) FCPA Review Procedure Release from the Department of Justice (DOJ) that is the foundation for present day third-party due diligence practices. Newcomb is a member of the Board of Advisers to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Reporter and founding editor of the FCPA Digest.
His recent FCPA engagements include representation of:
- Lenders to the GSP pipeline project in Peru on an anti-corruption procedure to protect the project from the lead sponsor, Odebrecht, which is involved in the Lava Jato investigation in Brazil;
- A European SEC issuer on dealings with its monitor and the DOJ to comply with its deferred prosecution agreement;
- Nokia in a multi-jurisdictional anti-corruption review arising out of the Siemens AG matter;
- AB Volvo in DOJ and SEC proceedings arising out of the Oil for Food Program;
- ABB/Vetco Grey in SEC and DOJ cases;
- Norsk Hydro in the Statoil matter; and
- Various parties in SEC/DOJ investigations related to Titan Corporation, Daimler Chrysler AG, the Bonny Island Nigeria matter, Faro Technologies and Oil States International.
The GIR Awards celebrate the most impressive investigations practices and lawyers and the most noteworthy developments of the past year. The winners were chosen by the GIR editorial staff, after soliciting confidential nominations in a number of categories from practitioners and investigations experts.