Alex Bevan is a partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration Group and the Managing Partner for the firm’s Abu Dhabi office. Alex advises and represents clients in complex international arbitration proceedings arising out of construction and development projects, investments, acquisitions and joint ventures. These disputes arise in a range of industries, in particular infrastructure, power, oil and gas and telecoms. Alex also serves as Arbitrator in international arbitration proceedings.
Alex Bevan has been distinguished in Chambers UK as a “powerful advocate” and “a clinical cross-examiner” with “invaluable strategic thinking.” He is also described as “outstanding – shrewd, hardworking and able.” Alex is “recommended for complex arbitration and litigation” in Legal 500 EMEA and also listed in Legal 500 UK and Legal 500 Latin America. He is commended as “efficient and smart” in the June 2014 edition of India Business Law Journal.
Current and recent cases include representation of the following:
- Two international construction contractors as Respondents in ICC arbitration brought by a Middle Eastern State entity arising out of the development of a world-class medical facility in the Middle East. Law of the Claimant's State, London seat. USD 3 billion at stake.
- International consortium of contractors as Claimants in ICC arbitration against a Middle Eastern State arising out of the design and construction of an airport. Law of the Middle Eastern State. Close to USD 1 billion at stake.
- European contractor as Claimant in ICC arbitration against a US supplier in relation to a renewables Project in the Middle East.
- Major Asian conglomerate in a dispute with a Middle Eastern LNG producer regarding our client’s potential liability related to a gas pipeline failure.
- North Asian company in LMAA arbitration arising from a contract to build an offshore construction vessel. London seat, English law.