Shearman & Sterling’s award-winning Islamic Finance practice is at the forefront of complex, first-of-kind Islamic finance transactions across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and North America. Our lawyers deliver an integrated service across our key areas of project finance, capital markets, derivatives and structured finance, funds and tax to provide innovative solutions utilizing the most cutting-edge Islamic financing techniques.
Highlights of our practice
- A pioneer in the field of Islamic finance and at the forefront of developing Islamic financing techniques for many years
- Experience across all major global financial centers in New York, London, the Middle East and Asia
- Vast experience with all of the principal Islamic financing structures, including Ijara, Murabaha, Musawama, Mudarabah, and Wakala instruments
- Have worked extensively with Shari'ah-compliant investors for many years, advising clients on project financing, structured finance (including Sukuk), acquiring and financing real estate, private equity investments and compliant fund format
- Work closely with leading scholars in the field to advise compliant investors, develop innovative approaches and sensitize the wider community to the relevant investment principles and transaction structures
- Regularly contribute to thought leadership in the market: John Opar authored a chapter titled “Shari’ah-Compliant Real Estate Investment in the United States” in Contemporary Islamic Finance; and Robin Bayley co-authored an article on “Innovation & Opportunities in Islamic Finance” in Corporate Live Wire