In today’s world, there are two types of organizations: those that have been breached and those that just don’t know it yet. Businesses and organizations of all sizes in virtually every industry must think strategically about threats to their data, intellectual property and assets, and implement appropriate security, protection and risk management practices as data breaches escalate and regulatory pressures increase.
Our global reach – from North and South America to Europe, the Middle East and Asia – enables our team to meet the demands of multinational clients and provide sophisticated up-to-the-minute advice in multiple jurisdictions with varying data privacy regulations.
From startups to multinational companies, business executives, privacy officers and board of directors across every industry sector are looking for knowledgeable and experienced advisors for their mission-critical initiatives and compliance issues. Whether advising clients in financial services, healthcare, telecommunications, cloud computing, online retailing, internet advertising, or manufacturing, our global Privacy & Data Protection team, headquartered in Menlo Park, California, is well-known for its actionable intelligence and data-driven solutions. Our cross-disciplinary and responsive team takes a practical approach, and provides global compliance strategies and solutions for international data transfers, product counseling for new and enhanced product launches, and assistance with data security breaches.
Privacy and data security concerns exist in each stage of a company’s life cycle. From advice on how to file IPO to implementing processing and handling requirements for data, our global team has extensive experience monitoring regulatory and legal changes, compliance and risk issues and developing comprehensive data protection and incident response plans to respond to external and internal threat environments.
Shearman & Sterling’s global Privacy & Data Protection practice builds on the firm’s broad capabilities in corporate governance, technology transactions, regulatory compliance, investigations, litigation, intellectual property, financial services and asset management and advises clients in the following key service areas:
- Privacy by Design
- Privacy Engineering
- Data Governance, including Privacy Policies and Notices
- Privacy Impact Assessments
- Data Classification and Trade Secrets Protection
- Data Life Cycle Management
- Incident Response Plans and Tabletop Exercises
- Information Security Risk Assessments and Maturity Assessments
Our Privacy & Data Protection Team
Shearman & Sterling is ranked among the world’s leading litigation, M&A and corporate governance advisors with its integrated global approach, depth of experience and exceptional client service. Drawing from the firm’s approximately 850 lawyers in 20 offices around the world, the global Privacy & Data Protection team includes CIPP/US, CIPM, CIPT and CIPP/E privacy certified lawyers. Areas of special focus for our clients include critical needs in the following areas:
- International privacy standards
- Cybersecurity preparedness and incident response
- Corporate investigations, litigation, prosecutions and enforcement proceedings in the United States, Europe and Asia
- Financial institutions advisory and financial regulatory issues for retail and institutional businesses in the US, UK, EU and globally
- Intellectual property litigation and technology transactions
- Global M&A with a strong base in key North American, European, Middle Eastern, Asian, and Latin American markets
- Emerging technologies
- Data analytics and monetization