+1 202 508 8026
+1 202 661 7421
Add to Outlook
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
University of Virginia, B.A.
Jesse Kanach is a counsel in the firm’s Asset Management Group. He regularly represents a wide range of financial institutions, including registered and private funds and investment advisers, on a variety of regulatory, corporate and transactional matters. His practice ranges from the formation and offering of hedge funds and registered open- and closed-end investment companies, to the representation of independent directors and trustees, to sales and acquisitions of investment advisory firms.
Mr. Kanach represents institutional investors on their investments, including in private equity, hedge, energy and real estate funds, and in negotiating separate account agreements. He advises on various fund structures including onshore and offshore funds, master-feeders, special purpose vehicles and funds of funds. He counsels investment managers on compliance reviews and internal investigations. He frequently advises companies on exceptions from U.S. Investment Company Act registration. Based in Washington, D.C., his focus has included tracking developments in the changing legislative and regulatory framework applicable to the asset management industry.
Mr. Kanach’s articles and media quotations have appeared in Bloomberg BNA’s Securities Regulation and Law Report and its Privacy Law Report, Board IQ, Hedge Fund Law Report, Investment Lawyer (articles in the January, March, November and December 2012 issues), Private Equity International, and Wolters Kluwer’s Practical Compliance & Risk Management for the Securities Industry, among others. He has contributed chapters to Investment Adviser Regulation: A Step-by-Step Guide to Compliance and the Law (Practising Law Institute 2012), The Encyclopedia of Private Equity and Venture Capital (VCExperts 2012) and The US Private Equity Fund Compliance Guide (PEI 2010).
Selected Professional & Business Activities
- Conference Panelist, “Private Equity Fund Sponsors: Advisers Act Considerations When Structuring a Fund,” Private Equity Structuring: The Basics (hosted by New York City Bar), New York, September 14, 2012
- Seminar Panelist, Investment Funds Mid-Year Update: JOBS Act, CFTC and Form PF Compliance (hosted by Shearman & Sterling LLP), New York, July 17, 2012
- Roundtable Participant, “Crisis Without a Legacy?” International Policy Summit (sponsored by Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales), Washington, DC, June 22, 2012
- Webinar Presenter, Sweeping Changes to the Credit Rating Provisions of the Investment Company Act (hosted by Knowledge Congress), July 20, 2011
- Breakout Session Moderator, Mutual Fund Compliance Programs Conference, Investment Company Institute, Washington, DC, May 6, 2011
- Seminar Panelist, New SEC Regulation of Investment Managers in Brazil (hosted by ABVCAP - Associação Brasileira de Private Equity & Venture Capital), São Paulo, Brazil, March 3, 2011
- Seminar Panelist, Update on U.S. Investment Adviser Regulation (hosted by ANBIMA - Associação Brasileira das Entidades dos Mercados Financeiro e de Capitais), São Paulo, Brazil, January 18, 2011
- Webinar Presenter, A Changing Landscape: The New Requirements for Form ADV (hosted by Bureau of National Affairs – now Bloomberg BNA), October 28, 2010
- Webinar Presenter, Adapting to New Privacy Rules: What US Asset Management Businesses Need to Know Now (hosted by Bureau of National Affairs – now Bloomberg BNA), May 18, 2010
- Member of the American Bar Association (Subcommittee on Investment Companies and Investment Advisers)
- Member of the Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni (ASECA)
District of Columbia