+1 212 848 8590
+1 646 848 8590
Add to Outlook
New York University School of Law, J.D., 1978, Order of the Coif
Middlebury College, B.A., 1975, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
John Marzulli, a member of Shearman & Sterling’s Mergers & Acquisitions Group in New York, focuses his practice on international corporate finance with an emphasis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, defensive assignments, privately negotiated acquisitions and divestitures of stock and assets, joint ventures and on related corporate governance matters. His clients include financial institutions, strategic/corporates, private equity sponsors and their financial advisors. He is a past Chairman of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Contests for Corporate Control. In 2009 Mr. Marzulli was named by The Lawyer as one of 25 “Transatlantic Elite” and ranked for New York: Corporate M&A by Chambers USA 2010. Mr. Marzulli joined the firm in 1980 following a federal district court clerkship and became a partner in 1988. From 1990 to 1996, he was based in London as head of the firm’s U.K. M&A practice.
- NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. in its joint bid, together with IntercontinentalExchange, for NYSE Euronext and in connection with its acquisition of Ften, Inc.
- Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. in its acquisition by Bank of America, its acquisitions of Petrie Parkman & Co., Herzog, Heine, Geduld, Inc., Mercury Asset Management plc (U.K.), Smith New Court plc (U.K.) and McIntosh Securities Ltd. (Australia) and the sales of its Global Energy Markets business and its Mortgage Origination and Servicing Business
- The Dow Chemical Company in its acquisition of Rohm and Haas
- Transaction Committee of the Board of Directors of Huntsman Corporation, in its aborted sale to a portfolio company of Apollo
- Basic Chemical Solutions LLC in connection with its sale to Univar, Inc.
- Northgate Capital in its sale of a majority interest to Religare Enterprises
- Legg Mason, Inc. in its acquisition of substantially all of Citigroup Inc.’s worldwide asset management business in exchange for Legg Mason’s private client and capital markets businesses, Legg Mason common and non-voting convertible preferred stock and financing provided by Citigroup
- BAML Capital Partners in its acquisition of Strategic Partners Holdings, Inc. and its acquisition of Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc.; Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity on its acquisitions of NPC International, Inc. and Convermex SA de CV
- Mittal Steel Co. N.V. in the simultaneous acquisition of LNM Holdings N.V. and merger with International Steel Group Inc. to create the world’s then largest steel company
- ABB Ltd. (Swiss) on the sale of its upstream Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals business to a private equity consortium
- General Electric Company on its attempted acquisition of Honeywell International Inc., its acquisitions of Harmon Industries Inc., Greenwich Air Services, Inc. and UNC Inc. and the divestiture of its Global eXchange Services business to a private equity consortium
- NBC Universal on its acquisition of the Bravo Company cable television programming service from Cablevision, the restructuring of its investments in Ion Media Networks, Inc. and Paxson Communications Corp. and its sale of four owned and operated TV stations to Media General
- Fiat, S.p.A. (Italy) on its strategic cooperation agreement with General Motors Corp., and Fiat and New Holland N.V. on the acquisition of Case Corporation and the formation of CNH Global, N.V.
- Novartis AG (Swiss) on its acquisition of the over-the-counter consumer medicine business of Bristol Myers Squibb, the acquisition of the adult nutritional supplement business of the Mead Johnson division of Bristol-Myers Squibb, its sale of its oncolytic adenovirus technology to Cell Genesys, as well as its predecessor Sandoz (Swiss) on its merger with Ciba Geigy (Swiss) to form Novartis and on its acquisition of Imutran Ltd. (U.K.)
- eSecLending Holdings Limited (Bermuda) on its auction sale to a private equity investor
- Bergen Brunswig Corporation on its merger of equals with Amerisource Corporation to form AmerisourceBergen Corporation
- Instrumentarium Corp. (Finland) on its acquisition of Spacelabs Medical Inc.
- Computerized Medical Systems, Inc. and Steri-Oss, Inc. (portfolio companies of Brown Brothers Harriman’s 1818 Fund) on their sales to Elektra AB and Nobel Biocare AB, respectively, and Nobel Biocare on its subsequent redomestication to Switzerland
- Arnold & S. Bleichroeder Holdings, Inc. on its leveraged recapitalization and the sale of its Arnold & S. Bleichroeder, Inc. brokerage unit to Natexis Banques Populares, S.A. (France)
- Raffles Holdings Ltd. (Singapore) on its acquisition of Swissôtel AG from the SwissAir Group (Swiss)
- Rosemore, Inc. on its acquisition of Crown Central Petroleum, Inc.
- Exalink, Ltd. (Israel) on its acquisition by Comverse Technology, Inc.
- The Welcome Trust in connection with the unsolicited acquisition of Welcome plc by Glaxo plc.
- Pharmacia AB (Sweden) on its merger of equals with The Upjohn Company to form Pharmacia & Upjohn and on its acquisition of the Erbamont Group from Montedison (Italy)
- USA Waste Services, Inc. on its merger with Waste Management, Inc. and its acquisition of Eastern Environmental Services, Inc.
- Eckerd Corporation on its acquisition by J.C. Penney & Co.
- Reynolds & Reynolds Company on the sale of its Information Solutions Group to The Carlyle Group
- Ladbrokes Limited (U.K.) on the divestiture of its U.S. gaming operations
- The Rank Group Plc (U.K.) on the sale of its 50% interest in Universal Studios Escape to Blackstone Capital Partners III L.P.
- International Speedway Corporation on its acquisition of Penske Motorsports, Inc.
- AngloGold Ltd. (South Africa) on its acquisition of the gold mining interests of Minorco (Luxembourg) and on its acquisition of Acacia Resources Ltd. (Australia)
- Grasby plc (U.K.) on its acquisition of the infusion therapy business of 3M
- Orthofix International N.V. (Netherlands Antilles) on its acquisitions of Breg, Inc. and American Medical Electronics, Inc.
- Booker plc (U.K.) on its acquisition of Marine Harvest International, Inc. and the subsequent sale of its Arbor Acres Farms and Marine Harvest units
- American Airlines, Inc. on its acquisition of Reno Air
- Saybolt International BV (Dutch) on its acquisition by Core Laboratories, N.V.
- Alusuisse-Lonza Holding Ltd. (Swiss) on its acquisitions of Wheaton, Inc. and Lawson Mardon Group Ltd. (Canada) and the divestiture of substantially all the assets of its U.S. subsidiary, Consolidated Aluminum Corporation
- Cadbury Schweppes plc (U.K.) on its acquisitions of The Dr Pepper/Seven-Up Companies, Inc. and A&W Brands, Inc.
- Georgia Pacific Corp. on its unsolicited acquisition of Great Northern Nekoosa Corp.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Greenhill & Co., and Perella Weinberg Partners when acting as financial advisors
Selected Professional & Business Activities
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, member
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member
- Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Proxy Contests, Chair, 2008 to 2011; member 2006 to present
- Committee on Securities Regulations, member 2002–2005