Joris Bertrand is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, he clerked at the French Cour de cassation, the Conseil d’État, and the European Court of Human Rights. He has also served as Court Marshall at the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal and was arbitral clerk to a prominent international arbitrator. He acted as tribunal secretary in multiple commercial and investor-State arbitrations conducted under the rules of HKIAC, SIAC, ICC, LCIA, ICSID, and UNCITRAL.
International arbitrations on which Joris Bertrand has worked include the representation of:
- The People’s Republic of China in an ICSID arbitration brought by Hela Schwarz GmbH (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/19). The claims are brought under the China-Germany bilateral investment treaty.
- Hong Kong, Cayman Islands, and British Virgin Islands corporate entities and directors as Claimants in an ICC arbitration, emergency arbitration proceedings, and in parallel High Court proceedings in Hong Kong as Respondents. The dispute arises from a private equity co-investment agreement. Hong Kong law applies.
- An international joint venture in an ICC arbitration in Paris brought by a Middle Eastern contractor in relation to the construction of living quarters for a gas processing facility in Africa. The law of the Respondent’s State applies.
- An agency of an Eastern European State as applicant in proceedings to request the setting aside of several arbitral awards rendered in a construction dispute.
Institut d’études politiques de Paris (Sciences Po)
Master’s degree in Arbitration and Litigation (summa cum laude)
Institut d'études politiques d'Aix en Provence
Master’s degree in Public Policy (first class)
Licence (BA) in Law (first class)
- Certified Tribunal Secretary (HKIAC – with Distinction)
- Member, Asian Academy of International Law
- Member, Young ICCA, International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Member, HK45
- “Evolution, Not Revolution: A Step Towards Ex Parte Emergency Arbitrator Relief in Hong Kong,” Asian Dispute Review, October 2020 (with E. Taylor)
- “Investor-State Dispute Settlement and the European Union: Dawn or Dusk?,” La Revue des Juristes de Sciences Po, 18 March 2019
- “And then there were none: the decline of the right to access a lawyer?,” Oxford Human Rights Hub (OxHRH Blog), 18 January 2019 (with L. Li)