Niels Dejean is a partner in the Tax practice.
He practices in the tax law, tax controversy and dispute resolution, private equity and mergers & acquisitions areas. Niels Dejean joined the firm after practicing with a major audit firm and then with a leading French corporate law firm. During his tenure with the accounting firm, Niels Dejean spent four years as the French tax desk in New York where he became partner before returning to Paris to head their French International Tax Group.
- Altice USA (NYSE: ATUS) on the announced separation of Altice USA from Altice N.V. (Europe).
- Ardagh Group S.A. in connection with its acquisition of beverage can manufacturing assets and support locations in Europe, Brazil and the United States from manufacturing giants Ball Corporation and Rexam for $3.42bn.
- The Coca-Cola Company in connection with various on-going tax matters
- The Management of Sagemcom group in connection with the purchase of a majority stake by Charterhouse to the Carlyle Group.
- Unibail-Rodamco on its proposed $25 billion acquisition of Westfield Corporation.
Private Equity and Investment Funds
- Japan Nuclear Fuel Ltd. (JNFL) in connection with its investment in French nuclear fuel cycle company, New Areva Holding (now called Orano), which is part of the €4.5 billion global restructuring of French nuclear energy group Areva.
- Fondations Capital in connection with the sale of the Alkern group to Chequers Capital, its acquisition of 60% of Sepur, and the leveraged recapitalization of the Sepur Group.
- The Management of Sagemcom group in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake by Charterhouse to the Carlyle Group, and the management of the leveraged recapitalization of the Sagemcom Group.
- Alstom in connexion with the public share buyback offer (OPRA) to be made by Alstom with respect to its own shares.
- Alstom in connection with the carve-out and sale of its Power & Grid activities to General Electric.
- Alstom in connection with the sale of its Railroad signaling activities to General Electric.
- Bluebay Asset Management, as arranger and unitranche lender, on the refinancing of Bertrand group, taking the form of a unitranche issuance of €90 million. In addition, the finance provides for additional unitranche issues of a maximum of €30 million for the purpose of funding the group’s capital expenditure and permitted acquisitions.
- Fondations Capital in its acquisition of Groupe Duroux.
- Nokia Corporation on the exclusive negotiations for the sale of its Digital Health business.
- Sagemcom, a company controlled by The Carlyle Group, in connection with the carve-out and sale of its Retail activities to X-Trementreprise.
- Vortex in the acquisition of 49% of EDP Renewables France SAS.
Université Val-de-Marne (Paris XII)
D.E.S.S. Law degree specialized in International Tax Law
Awards & Accolades
- According to Chambers Global, clients value his dedication, with one saying: "He seems to be part of our business when he defends the interests of our company," going on to underline his "expertise and proactive service." (2021)
- According to Legal 500 EMEA, "Niels Dejean is more than excellent". "A great team made up of very knowledgeable people who are very responsive, proactive and always deliver high-value advice." (2020)
- A client reports Chambers Europe "You need someone you can rely on, and he is a very dedicated, hard-working guy who has high standards." (2020)
- According to Chambers Europe, Niels Dejean is a "technically solid" lawyer. Clients value his "extensive experience of structure and tax in France". (2018)
- According to Legal 500, Niels Dejean "is very analytical, rigorous, opinionated and business-oriented which brings huge value to his advice." (2018)
- Clients underline in Chambers Europe that Niels is "very good and technical. When he makes a statement it is always thought through and objective. It is comforting to rest on his advice, especially when the topic is of a difficult nature." (2017)
- According to Chambers Global, "Interviewees enthuse about Niels Dejean's superb tax mind, which has helped him to amass an impressive portfolio of work over the years.", and he is described as "clever, with good experience in corporate law and tax." (2014)
- Niels Dejean has been cited as a leading tax lawyer in the Chambers’ Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers, in La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires and in France’s Best Lawyers 2018 Edition.