Gary Hamp is a partner in our European Finance practice based in London.
He specialises in acquisition and leveraged finance, distressed investments, structured secured lending, and debt restructurings and workouts. Gary advises financial institutions, corporations, and private equity sponsors across an extensive range of financings and also works closely with leading debt and restructuring advisors.
Gary has been working on cutting edge financing transactions in Asia for over a decade and has extensive experience advising across Europe. He has been continuously recognised as a leading individual in banking and finance by The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, and Chambers Asia. He is commended as "a formidable yet charming negotiator with an acute grasp of technical matters and a zest to close deals." (Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2019)
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with SYNLAB's pre-IPO crossover financing consisting of €1.2 billion multicurrency term and revolving facilities.
- Investcorp in connection with the refinancing of Viz Branz's existing facilities with a S$180 million term loan and revolving credit senior facilities agreement.
- The original notes purchasers, which include funds managed by Goldman Sachs, Park Square Capital and MV Credit on the PIK Notes financing in support of the acquisition by the Barentz group of the Maroon Group.
- The mandated lead arrangers on the structured €1 billion financing n support of the acquisition by a consortium led by Tencent Holdings of a minority stake in Universal Music Group.*
- CDH Capital Partners in connection with the financing for their acquisition of a European based consumer products business.*
- The Carlyle Group in connection with the HK$1.2 billion term loan facility in connection with Carlyle and CITIC's privatisation of Asia Satellite Telecommunications Holdings Limited, a provider of telecommunications services.*
- The Arrangers in connection with the €4 billion recourse and non-recourse financing in connection with the acquisition of Amer Sports Corporation, a sporting goods company, by a consortium of investors led by Anta Sports and FountainVest Partners.*
- Partners Group in connection with the financing for its acquisition of SPi Global, a Philippines-based provider of outsourced services to education, science, technical, and medical research publishers.*
- BNP Paribas as lead arranger for a number of financings for Alvogen Emerging Markets Holdings Limited, a pharmaceutical company focused on developing, manufacturing, and selling generic, brand, OTC, and biosimilar products.*
- The Mandated Lead Arrangers, including HSBC, BNP Paribas, ANZ, and E. Sun Commercial Bank, on the term, capital expenditure, and revolving credit facilities for the Pure Fitness Group in connection with its acquisition by FountainVest Partners and Ontario Teacher’ Pension Plan Board.*
- Lodgis Hospitality Holdings Pte., a hotel investment platform formed through a joint venture between Warburg Pincus and Vinacapital Ltd., in connection with a US$81 million term loan facility in connection with Warburg Pincus' acquisition of Ho Tram Project Company, a developer of the Ho Tram Strip, a group of integrated resorts and residential development.*
- Barings Asset Management Limited in connection with a US$63 million term loan facilities in connection with its acquisition of Genea Limited, an owner of fertility clinics that provides reproductive technology products and services by a consortium of investors led by Mason Group.*
- Warburg Pincus in connection with US$8 billion committed financing in connection with the acquisition of Global Logistic Properties, a Singapore-based provider of logistics facilities.*
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with US$3.5 billion financing in connection with Tencent Holdings’ acquisition of Supercell Oy, a Finland-based mobile games developer.*
- Warburg Pincus in connection with the financing of the acquisition by Athena Investment Company (Cayman) Limited of ARA Asset Management Limited, a Singapore-based real estate fund manager.*
*Denotes prior firm experience
College of Law
Keble College, University of Oxford
BA in Jurisprudence
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked in Band 2 in Chambers Global 2020 for Banking & Finance: Leveraged & Acquisition Finance (International Firms) in China
- Ranked in Band 3 in Chambers Global 2020 for Banking & Finance: Hong Kong-based (International Firms) in China
- Ranked as a 'Leading Individual' in Legal 500 2020 for Banking and Finance
- 'Highly Regarded' in IFLR 1000 2020 for Banking and Finance