Tom McKay is counsel in our Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice based in London.
He has a broad range of experience and has acted on a number of well-known domestic and cross-border restructurings and insolvencies.
Tom has represented leading accounting firms and restructuring practices, distressed investors, senior and junior lenders, hedge funds and private equity firms on a variety of workouts and restructurings. Tom also has considerable experience of advising the boards of directors of companies in financial distress.
Tom has completed a secondment to the European Special Situations Group of Goldman Sachs in London and has written articles on restructuring topics.
- Provisional and official liquidators of Abraaj, one of the largest fund collapses in recent history.*
- Barclays Bank on the financial restructuring of the General Healthcare Group including the related CMBS transactions.*
- KKR Credit on the establishment of a Greek NPL platform.*
- The Lehman estate in chapter 11 in relation to UK and European issues.*
- The special administrators of MF Global UK Limited following the first ever filing under the Special Administration Regime.*
- Various lenders on the restructuring of two Premier League football clubs.*
- Westinghouse Electric Company in connection with global, European and financing issues concerning its Chapter 11, one of the largest Chapter 11 cases of this cycle. Finalist (Runner Up) for Legal Business Restructuring Transaction of the Year 2019, FT Innovative Awards 2019 and Finalist for British Legal Restructuring Team of the Year 2018.*
- Davidson Kempner in connection with their acquisition of AIB debt owed by the Arora Hotel group and the subsequent restructuring of that debt.*
- Ad Hoc group of creditors in relation to the proposed financial restructuring of Abengoa S.A. and its subsidiaries.*
- H/2 Capital Partners in respect of its exposure to the Four Seasons Health Care group.*
- Providence Equity Partners on the financial restructuring of Estro Groep (formerly Catalpa), the Dutch childcare provider.*
- XL Leisure Group, then the U.K.'s third largest tour operator, on contingency planning and subsequent administration proceedings.*
- The board of directors and administrators of Connaught plc and several subsidiaries, including in relation to multiple pre-pack sales of business units.*
- A junior creditor in restructuring negotiations with Bjorgolfur Thor Bjorgolfsson and his various corporate holdings, including the Actavis Group.*
- London Town Plc in restructuring discussions and in relation to its subsequent pre-packaged administration.*
*Denotes prior firm experience
College of Law, York
College of Law, York