Dan Litowitz is the Global M&A Deputy Practice Group Leader and a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He has considerable U.S. and global experience in a broad range of strategic transactions, including cash and stock mergers, tender and exchange offers, private equity transactions, stock and asset acquisition and disposition transactions, and joint ventures for U.S. and multinational clients.
Dan started his career at Shearman & Sterling in 1999 and was a member of the M&A practice until 2010; he rejoined the firm in 2014.
- CVS Health Corp. in its $10.6 billion acquisition of Oak Street Health, in its $69 billion acquisition of Aetna Inc., its acquisition of US Bioservices Corporation from AmerisourceBergen Corporation and in ongoing general corporate matters
- JetBlue Airways Corp. in its pending acquisition of Spirit Airlines for approximately $3.8 billion following JetBlue’s hostile, all cash tender offer to acquire Spirit for $30 per share and its “vote no” proxy campaign against Spirit’s $2.9 billion merger with Frontier Group, the entry into a strategic partnership with American Airlines, its entry into a co-brand credit card agreement with Barclaycard, the acquisition of slots from American Airlines, Inc. in connection with the merger of American Airlines, Inc. and US Airways Group, Inc., the acquisition by Deutsche Lufthansa AG of 19% of JetBlue’s outstanding common stock and in ongoing general corporate matters
- Paramount Global (f/k/a ViacomCBS Inc.) in its pending $1.6 billion sale of Simon & Schuster to an affiliate of KKR, its attempted $500 million sale of CNET Media Group to Red Ventures, the $30 billion merger with CBS Corporation, the separation of Viacom Inc. and CBS Corporation into two publicly traded companies, its distribution of its interest in Blockbuster Inc. through a split-off exchange offer, the purchase and sale of various other businesses and in ongoing general corporate matters
- Liberty Global plc in its pending re-domiciliation transaction from the United Kingdom to Bermuda, its acquisition of a 4.92% stake in Vodafone Group Plc, its £31 billion joint venture with Telefónica SA to merge their Virgin Media and O2 operations in the UK, its €6.3 billion acquisition of Sunrise Communications Group AG, its $2.7 billion self tender for Class A Shares and Class C Shares, and in ongoing general corporate matters
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in the pending acquisition, though its wholly-owned subsidiary Accident Fund Insurance Company of America, of AmeriTrust Group, Inc. from Fosun International Limited
- Goldman Sachs Bank, on behalf of Marcus, its consumer digital finance business unit, in the purchase of the General Motors co-branded credit card portfolio from Capital One and in the entry of multiple sales finance lending platforms
- Glatfelter Corporation in its $308 million acquisition of the Jacob Holm Group, its separate acquisitions of Georgia-Pacific’s U.S. and European nonwovens businesses for $175 million and $185 million, respectively, its $360 million sale of its Specialty Paper Business Unit to Lindsay Goldberg LLC, its $235 million acquisition of Concert Industries Corp. and in ongoing general corporate matters
- Bunge Limited in its sale of certain of its U.S. grain origination elevators to Zen-Noh Grain Corporation, and its $946 million acquisition of 70% of Loders Croklaan from IOI Corporation Berhad
- Advanced Disposal Services, Inc. in its $4.6 billion acquisition by Waste Management, Inc. and related regulatory divestitures to GFL Environmental, Inc.
- Altice USA, Inc. in the separation from Altice N.V.
- Citigroup Inc. in its acquisition and disposition of various domestic and international credit card portfolios, including its acquisition of the credit card portfolios and entry into related credit card program agreements with Costco, L.L.Bean, Brooks Brothers, Home Depot and Macy’s
- Albemarle Corporation in its acquisition, through a joint venture with Mineral Resources Limited, of the Wodgina Hard Rock Lithium Mine and in the $3.2 billion sale of its Chemetall Surface Treatment business to BASF SE
- Cisco Systems, Inc. in its acquisition of Singularity Networks, Inc.
- Advance Publications, Inc. in its sale of The Times-Picayune and its nola.com website to Capital City Press, LLC
- Comenity Bank, a subsidiary of Alliance Data Systems, in the sales of each of the PayPal, HSN and Crate & Barrel credit card portfolios to Synchrony Financial
- American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings, Inc. in connection with its $1.6 billion cash and stock acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group Inc., its acquisition of USM’s Mexican operations and in ongoing general corporate matters
- Wausau Paper Corp. in its acquisition by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget for approximately $513 million
- The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation in the sale of its business in Latin America and the acquisition of Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corporation
- ARX Holding Corp., the parent company of American Strategic Insurance, in its acquisition by The Progressive Corporation
- Rockwood Holdings, Inc. in the sale of its titanium dioxide and pigments businesses to Huntsman Corporation and in the sale of its clay-based additives business to Altana AG
- AMC Networks in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with DIRECTV Latin America to own and operate a Sundance-branded channel in seven Latin American countries
- Cablevision Systems Corp. in its sale of Clearview Cinemas to Bow Tie Cinemas
- Daimler AG in its venture investment in GottaPark, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc. in the sale to Johnson & Johnson Inc. of its interests in the over-the-counter consumer products joint venture with Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- The Dow Chemical Company in its $18.8 billion acquisition of Rohm and Haas Company and the disposition of its Morton Salt business for $1.675 billion and its Calcium Chloride business for $210 million
- Nokia Corporation in its $8.1 billion acquisition of NAVTEQ Corporation
- Cadbury Schweppes plc in its divestiture of its Americas beverages business and the listing of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. on the NYSE, in its acquisition of the Adams confectionary business from Pfizer Inc. and in the sale of its international carbonated soft drink business to The Coca-Cola Company
- NBC Universal, Inc. in the restructuring of its investment in ION Media Networks, Inc. (f/k/a Paxson Communications Corporation)
- Barclays Bank plc in its acquisition of the U.S. mortgage servicing business of HomEq Servicing Corporation, a subsidiary of Wachovia Corporation
- GS Global Infrastructure Partners I, L.P. in its merger with Unison Site Management, L.L.C. and subsequent acquisitions of cell tower portfolios
- Novartis AG in its sale of its global Nutritional Beverages business to Associated British Foods
- Credit Suisse Group in its acquisition of Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, Inc.
- Cybercorp, Inc. in its acquisition by The Charles Schwab Corporation
- Citibank, Credit Suisse, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan and Morgan Stanley when acting as financial advisor to the acquirer or target in various transactions
New York University School of Law
Johns Hopkins University