Derrick Lott is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Derrick works on complex, high-profile public and private transactions, as well as minority investments, joint ventures and corporate governance matters. In addition, he has deep experience in both securities laws and the fiduciary duty and process issues that are unique to complex public company transactions in the TMT, industrial, healthcare, chemical, and financial sectors. Derrick also regularly represents investment banks in connection with financial advisory assignments.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Derrick worked at the American Constitution Society as a Programs Law Fellow and as a judicial extern for the Honorable Gerald Bruce Lee in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Boston Scientific in various transactional matters, including its sale of BTG Specialty Pharmaceuticals to SERB SAS and Stark International Lux S.A.R.L., portfolio companies of private equity firm Charterhouse Capital Partners
- Altice USA, Inc. in various corporate and transactional matters, including its initial public offering of shares , its spin-off from Altice Europe N.V., its sale of a 49.99 percent of its LightPath fiber enterprise business to Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners, its acquisition of Audience Partners, LLC, and its sale of a majority stake of Newsday to Patrick Dolan
- Bunge Limited in various transactional matters, including its 35 U.S. interior elevators to Zen-Noh Grain Corporation and its acquisition of a 70% ownership interest in IOI Loders Croklaan from IOI Corporation Berhad
- GlaxoSmithKline in various transaction matters, including its acquisition of TESARO, Inc.
- Dassault Systèmes S.E. in its acquisition of Exa Corporation
- Textron Inc. in its acquisition of Arctic Cat Inc.
- Wausau Paper Corp. in its acquisition by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA (publ)
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries in its acquisition of InSite Vision Inc.
- Pall Corporation in its acquisition by Danaher Corporation
- IG4 Capital Infrastructure Investments, an investment vehicle jointly owned by entities affiliated with IG4 Capital, in connection with its cash tender offer for 12.29 percent of the common shares, including common shares represented by American Depositary Shares, of Aenza S.A.A.
- Banco Bradesco S.A. in its $500 million acquisition of BAC Florida Bank
- Ness Digital Engineering, a portfolio company of The Rohatyn Group (TRG), in its acquisition of Linium, LLC
- General Electric Company in its sale of its energy finance business to Starwood Property Trust, Inc.
- S&P Global, Inc. in various corporate and transactional matters, including its sale of J.D. Power & Associates to XIO Group and its sale of the McGraw Hill Construction division to Symphony Technology Group
- Pall Corporation in acquisition of the life sciences business of ATMI, Inc.
- IceArizona Acquisition Co., LLC in its sale of 51% stake in the National Hockey League's Arizona Coyotes franchise to Andrew Barroway
- Pierpont Securities LLC in its merger with Amherst Securities Group LP
- Ardagh Group S.A. in its sale of Anchor Glass Container Corporation to KPS Capital Partners, LP
- Liberty Global in its "modified Dutch Auction" tender offer to purchase up to $2.5 billion of its ordinary shares from its shareholders
- LyondellBasell in its "modified Dutch Auction" tender offer to purchase up to 37,000,000 of its issued and outstanding ordinary shares.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch when acting as financial advisor, including as financial advisor to 7-Eleven, Inc. in its acquisition of a Sunoco chain of gas stations, as co-financial advisor to Bayer AG in its acquisition of Monsanto Company and as co-financial advisor Omnicare in its sale to CVS Pharmacy Inc.
- Barclays Capital Inc. when acting as financial advisor, including as financial advisor to WESCO International, Inc. in its acquisition of Anixter International Inc., as financial advisor to Equity One, Inc., in its acquisition by Regency Centers Corporation and as financial advisor to TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation in its acquisition of Scottrade Financial Services, Inc.
American University Washington College of Law
Washington and Lee University
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2017)
- Co-Chair, Shearman & Sterling LLP’s Black Lawyers Affinity Group (2014 - 2017)
Awards & Accolades
- Derrick was selected by The Deal as a “Rising Star” in The Dealmaker Quarterly (2019).