Heiko Schiwek is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He has extensive experience in U.S. domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, ranging from public company acquisitions to complex carve-out sales, strategic investments and joint venture transactions, representing many of the largest U.S. and non-U.S. corporate clients.
- Dow Chemical in numerous transactions, including in its $130 billion transaction with DuPont involving the combination of the two companies, the subsequent separation into three public companies and the resulting $50 billion spin-off of Dow Inc., the $5 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction with Olin involving Dow’s chlor-alkali and derivatives business, the negotiations of the $17.4 billion K-Dow joint venture with PIC of Kuwait, the $4.8 billion strategic ownership restructuring of Dow Corning, the $1.5 billion sale of its MEGlobal joint venture interest to EQUATE, the $1.63 billion sale of Styron to Bain Capital, the sale of Dow’s global polypropylene business to Braskem, the divestiture of its global polypropylene licensing & catalysts business to W. R. Grace & Co, the sale of its interest in Nippon Unicar Company to the Tonen Group, the sale of its acid copolymers and ionomers business to SK Global Chemical Co., the sale of Dow’s extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) business, the sale of Dow’s German S/A Latex business and the separation of Dow’s joint venture with Toray Industries, Inc.
- KMG Chemicals in its $1.6 billion sale to Cabot Microelectronics Corporation
- LyondellBasell in its $2.25 billion acquisition of A. Schulman
- LANXESS AG in its acquisition of the clean and disinfect business of Chemours and in its acquisition of the U.S. phosphorus additives business from Solvay
- Celanese Corporation in the restructuring of its 50/50 Korea Engineering Plastics Co. joint venture with Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company, Inc., and in the $1.575 billion divestiture of its interest in its Polyplastics joint venture to Daicel Corporation.
- Sasol in the divestiture of its HDPE joint venture interest to INEOS
- Anglo American plc in its $2.8 billion sale of an interest in AA Sur to CODELCO, a Chilean state-owned company, and Mitsui
- DaimlerChrysler AG in its sale of Chrysler to Cerberus
- Tetra Pak in its acquisition of Carlisle Process Systems
- E.ON AG in its sale of Stinnes AG
- Siemens AG in its acquisition of U.S. Filter
- Quest Diagnostics in its acquisition of HemoCue
- GrupoSura in co-investment transactions with General Atlantic Partners and the IFC in connection with its acquisition of ING’s Latin American pensions, life insurance and investment management operations
- UBS Financial Services in its acquisition of McDonald Investment
- ABN AMRO as a financial advisor in the restructuring of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of companies
- Groupe Danone in transactions with Kelso & Company, Suntory Water Group and The Coca-Cola Company
- ActiveHealth Management in its acquisition by Aetna
- Cinram International Inc. in its acquisition of the DVD and CD manufacturing and distribution business of AOL-Time Warner
- Deutsche Börse AG in its acquisition of Brokertec Futures Exchange and its strategic partnership with The Clearing Corporation
- Deutsche Bank AG in the sale of its worldwide custody business to State Street
University of Dresden
Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law
Awards & Accolades
- Represented The Dow Chemical Company in its $5 billion Reverse Morris Trust transaction with Olin for the chlor-alkali and derivatives business, which was awarded Deal of the Year at the IFLR Americas Awards (2016).