Roberta Berliner Cherman is a partner in Capital Markets and the head of our São Paulo office, as well as a member of the firm’s Latin America Practice Group.
Roberta works on a variety of transactional and advisory matters. She re-joined the firm in 2017 after almost a decade holding senior positions in Europe and Brazil at Itaú Unibanco, the largest private financial institution in Latin America. Roberta began her career as a Capital Markets associate in our New York office.
Roberta has been named Finance Lawyer of the Year in Latin America by Euromoney’s Women in Business Law Awards 2022. She is noted by Chambers testimonials for her “knowledge of SEC regulations” and for “advising important clients (…) in high-value transactions in the equity and debt realms.”
- Azul in connection with its comprehensive restructuring plan, including a US$1 billion par-for-par exchange offer to exchange into 11.500% senior secured second out notes due 2029 and 10.875% senior secured second out notes due 2030, a US$800 million new money offering, the restructuring of US$350 million of convertible debentures, as well as the long-term reprofiling of Azul’s aircraft lease and original equipment manufacturer liabilities
- Itaú Unibanco Holding S.A. and certain of its subsidiaries in connection with cross-border public tender offer of common shares (including in the form of ADRs) of Banco Itaú Chile S.A.
- As a member of BNDES’ select panel of international legal advisors, BNDESPar as selling shareholder in the Rule 144A/Reg. S US$6.9 billion equity offering by Eletrobras (“Equity Follow-On of the Year” (2022), LatinFinance)
- Banks on multiple Petrobras debt and equity offerings, as well as liability management transactions (including its tender offer named “Corporate Liability Management of the Year” (2021) by LatinFinance)
- Banks on Rede D’Or’s Rule 144A/Reg. S IPO (“IPO of the Year” (2021), LatinFinance), follow-on and debt offerings and tender offer
- Grupo Globo in connection with US$400 million 5.5% sustainability-linked bonds due 2032
- Itaú Unibanco in connection with the preparation of its Form 20-F, updates of its MTN program and debt offerings (including its inaugural ESG bond offering named “Financial Institution Deal of the Year” (2021) by LatinFinance)
- Azul on its SEC-registered secondary follow-on offering, debt offerings (including its convertible debenture offering named “Capital Markets Deal of the Year” (2020), Latin Lawyer), and governance matters, including the preparation of its Form 20-F
- ITB Holding Brasil as selling shareholder on XP’s SEC-registered offering of common shares
- Underwriters and XP Investimentos, as financial advisor, on the initial public offering of XPAC Acquisition Corp. on The Nasdaq Stock Market
- XPAC Acquisition Corp. in connection the negotiation and execution of the business combination agreement and related agreements with SuperBac Biotechnology Solutions S.A.
- The underwriter in connection with XPAC Acquisition Corp. SEC-registered initial public offering
- Itaú Unibanco and Itaúsa in connection with the restructuring of its share ownership in XP Inc., including the spin-off of Itaú Unibanco’s equity ownership in XP Inc. and subsequent merger of the spun-off entity into XP Inc.
- Banco do Brasil in connection with Rule 144A/Reg. S debt offerings, including its Rule 144A/Reg. S inaugural social bonds, follow-on equity offerings and as borrower on a bilateral loan with the China Development Bank
- Initial Purchasers and Dealer Managers in connection with Banco do Brasil’s offering of US$750 million 3.250% senior notes due 2026 and a concurrent intermediated tender offer for up to US$750 million of three series of existing debt securities
- Issuer and Selling Shareholder in connection with Banco do Brasil’s Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian follow-on equity offering
- Placement agents in connection with Livetech Bahia’s Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian ICVM 476 initial public offering of common shares
- Placement agents in Boa Safra’s Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian ICVM 400 initial public offering of common shares
- Positivo Tecnologia in its Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian follow-on equity offering
- International placement agents in Estapar’s Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian ICVM 400 initial public offering of common shares
- Santander Investment Securities Inc. as underwriter in various debt and equity offerings by Brazilian issuers
- Dimed S.A. - Distribuidora de Medicamentos in connection with its Rule 144A/Reg. S and Brazilian ICVM 400 follow-on offering of common shares
University of Chicago Law School
Awards & Accolades
Named Finance Lawyer of the Year in Latin America by Euromoney’s Women in Business Law Awards (2022)
Named Rising Star by Latinvex (2017)
Recognized by Legal 500 for Latin America: Capital Markets: International Firms
Recognized by IFLR1000 as a “Notable Practitioner” for Capital Markets in Brazil
Co-editor of Shearman & Sterling’s Latin America and Caribbean ESG Update