Jacob Fields is an associate in the Litigation practice.
He has extensive experience defending clients in securities, white collar, anti-corruption, and regulatory investigations and enforcement matters. Jacob has managed numerous internal FCPA and U.S. sanctions investigations for multinational companies in the energy, mining, pharmaceutical, and financial-services sectors. He regularly advises U.S. and non-U.S. companies on compliance with U.S. sanctions and AML rules, including by helping clients craft risk-appropriate policies and controls. His practice also focuses on complex commercial litigation and corporate disputes, and he has broad experience representing emerging growth companies.
Government and Regulatory Investigations
- Representation of multiple hedge funds in SEC and FINRA investigations of internal control issues.
- Representation of broker/dealers by numerous authorities related to subjects such as securities, antitrust/price fixing, market manipulation, and compliance controls.
- Representation of U.S., European, and Chinese pharmaceutical, oil & gas, automobile, and telecommunications companies in connection with internal investigations and voluntary disclosures to the Department of Justice and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regarding potential violations of U.S. sanctions and anti-corruption laws.
- Representation of European banking conglomerate in connection with a multi-year sanctions investigation and helped coordinate $1.3 billion global settlement with multiple U.S. authorities, including obtaining from the U.S. Department of Justice a declination to prosecute parent entity.
- Representation of U.S. satellite technology company in connection with Department of Justice criminal investigation into potential violations of U.S. export control laws.
- Representation of African mining logistics company in connection with request to OFAC for removal of specially designated national (SDN) status.
- Advised state-owned Japanese financial institution on U.S. sanctions risks related to investment in various public and private infrastructure development projects in Russia, MENA and Europe.
- Advised European financial institutions on U.S. sanctions risks associated with investment and commercial activity related to Nordstream II gas pipeline project.
- Advised European airport operator on U.S. sanctions risks associated with provision of supplies and services to Iranian airlines.
General Litigation Experience
- Representation of underwriter syndicates and global banks in securities class actions on behalf of investors in various companies.
- Representation of a national manufacturer in a putative nationwide consumer class action alleging products liability and false advertising claims.
- Pro bono representation of clients seeking asylum pursuant to U.S. immigration laws.
Georgetown University Law Center
J.D., cum laude
- Executive Notes Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Texas Tech University
- New York
- District of Columbia
- “Navigating the Russian Sanctions Regime,” LexisNexis (March 24, 2022)