Tsegaye Laurendeau is a senior associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes international arbitrations under the ICC, ICSID, CRCICA and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, with a focus on energy, investment, joint venture and post-M&A disputes.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Tsegaye practiced as an associate in the Project Finance practice of a magic circle firm, acting for financial institutions and sponsors in relation to the financing and development of large energy and infrastructure projects in Northern and Sub-Saharan Africa. He also advised lenders and sponsors on the refinancing of long term syndicated credit facilities in relation to energy projects in Africa.
International arbitrations on which Tsegaye Laurendeau has worked include the representation of:
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria as Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Orascom TMT Investments S.à.r.l. (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Belgium-Luxembourg bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $5 billion was at stake.
- The Arab Republic of Egypt as Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Ampal-American Israel Corporation and other investors (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/11) concerning alleged violations of investors’ rights under the Egypt-U.S. and the Egypt-Germany bilateral investment treaties. The investment concerns a long term contract for the supply of natural gas.
- A Middle Eastern State-owned gas company as Respondent in two CRCICA arbitrations brought by a European energy company. The dispute arises from a gas supply agreement. Egyptian law applies.
- A group of shareholders of a holding company as Respondents in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by another shareholder in the same company. The dispute concerned the interpretation of a put option price provision contained in a Shareholders' Agreement. The law of the Netherlands applied. Over $500 million was at stake.
- A major European retail group as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in São Paulo against its Brazilian joint venture partner. The dispute concerned breaches of a shareholders’ agreement concluded between the parties relating to the control of Brazil’s largest retailer. Brazilian law applied.
International Academy for Arbitration Law
Financial Management, Certificate
Université Paris X-Nanterre
D.E.A. Contentieux et commerce international et européen
Université de Bourgogne
D.E.S.S. Droit des affaires internationales
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Africa Regional Representative, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, Intergovernmental Authority on Development/Djibouti Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Centre Task Force
- Member and Blog Moderator, African Arbitration Association
- Member, Editorial review, Delos Guide to Arbitration Places (GAP) (2018)
- Founding member, AfricArb
- Contributor and Editorial Team, African Arbitration
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- Member, ICDR Young & International