Mei Lian is a partner in the Finance practice.
She has a particular focus on debt financing, with expertise both in capital markets as well as leveraged and bank finance transactions, including in particular stressed and distressed situations. She has a broad and extensive practice with a strong focus on high-end, cross-border transactions.
Mei represents borrowers and issuers and lenders and underwriters on financing transactions. She also represents hedge funds and alternative credit providers on distressed and restructuring investment opportunities. Her clients include Frigoglass, Nokia Corporation, Piraeus Bank S.A., STMicroelectronics N.V. and various hedge funds.
- The Frigoglass group, a global leader in the Ice Cold Merchandisers (ICM) market, on completing the restructuring of its existing indebtedness, which included €250 million 8.25 percent senior notes due 2018 issued by Frigoglass Finance and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements.
- JP Morgan as dealer manager in connection with a series of tender offers by Vedanta Resources plc in connection with the $1,250 million 5.50 per cent. Guaranteed Convertible Bonds due 2016 issued by Vedanta Resources Jersey Limited.
- Piraeus Bank S.A. in connection with its €4.933 billion recapitalization, including in connection with an exchange offer and consent solicitation for certain outstanding senior and subordinated securities.
- Nokia in connection with the update of its €5 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme, the drawdown of €1.25 billion in senior notes and Nokia’s tender offer for cash for its existing debt.
- STMicroelectronics N.V. on the issue of $1,000 million dual tranche senior unsecured convertible bonds, consisting of $750 million zero coupon convertible bonds due 2022 and the $750 million 0.25% convertible bonds due 2024.
- Motor Oil (Hellas) Corinth Refineries S.A. on its high yield bond offering of €350 million 3.125% senior notes due 2022 issued by Motor Oil's direct subsidiary, Motor Oil Finance plc.
- Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, UBS, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and Credit Suisse as underwriters on the issuance of $260 million 7% senior notes due 2022 by Indonesia-listed PT Lippo Karawaci Tbk (Lippo Karawaci).
- Various hedge funds in connection with their investments in distressed and special situations opportunities.
- A syndicate of 20 investment banks in connection with GTECH’s acquisition financing relating to its acquisition of International Game Technology. At the time, the transaction was the largest bond offering by an Italian issuer in the international capital markets.
- A group of holders of lower tier 2 bonds issued by The Co-operative Bank plc in connection with the bank’s £1.5 billion recapitalization plan.
- Piraeus Bank S.A, Eurobank Ergasias S.A. and Alpha Bank S.A., three of the four systemic banks in Greece, on the management of their non-performing loan portfolios, using securitization and other techniques including the establishment of frameworks for servicing and restructuring such non-performing loans.
- Advising certain noteholders in relation to the restructuring and the scheme of arrangement relating to DTEK Finance B.V.
Magdalene College, Cambridge
Awards & Accolades
- Mei is ranked as a leading individual by Legal 500 UK 2017 and is recommended for her ‘pragmatic and results drive mind-set’,
- She is also ranked as ‘Highly Regarded’ by IFLR100 2017.
- The firm was awarded “Italian Debt Capital Markets Deal of the Year” by Legalcommunity 2016 for its work advising a syndicate of 20 investment banks in connection with GTECH’s acquisition financing relating to its acquisition of International Game Technology.