Jacob Mezei is an associate in the Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice.
Mr. Mezei represents major companies and stakeholders in all aspects of complex corporate restructurings, including chapter 11 cases, out-of-court restructurings, and special situations.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Mr. Mezei was an associate at a leading international law firm where he represented companies and stakeholders in all aspects of corporate restructuring in both out-of-court processes and in-court proceedings across a broad range of industries.
Mr. Mezei served as a judicial law clerk to the Hon. Mary F. Walrath of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. Additionally, Mr. Mezei served as a judicial law clerk to the Hon. Thomas M. Lynch of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Vice Group Holding Inc.: represented Vice Group Holding Inc. and its debtor affiliates as counsel in their chapter 11 cases involving approximately $834 million in funded debt obligations.
- Greenidge Generation Holdings Inc.: represented Greenidge Generation Holdings Inc., historically a New York Bitcoin mining company, in the restructuring of its debt and business, including the transfer of a significant portion of its mining rigs to NYDIG, its equipment lender, in exchange for significant debt reduction, a new financing agreement, and 5-year hosting arrangements with NYDIG
- Grupo Kaltex, S.A. de C.V.: advised an ad hoc group of holders of 8.875% senior secured notes in the out-of-court exchange offer through which certain eligible holders could exchange existing notes for up to US$118 million of new senior secured notes.
- Stoneway Capital Ltd.: represented Stoneway Capital Ltd. and its debtor affiliates in their chapter 11 cases involving approximately $834 million of secured debt. Stoneway Capital is an Argentine holding company whose interests include building and operating power plants in Argentina.
- Grupo Posadas S.A.B. de C.V.: represented an ad hoc group of holders holding $131,258,000 in principal amount of 8.875% senior notes due 2022 in the prepackaged restructuring of Grupo Posadas, Mexico’s largest hotel operator.
- Caliber Midstream: represented Caliber Midstream in the Triangle USA Corp bankruptcy involving litigation relating to midstream service contracts.*
- 24 Hour Fitness Worldwide Inc. Chapter 11 Cases: represented 24 Hour Fitness and its debtor-affiliates in their chapter 11 cases involving approximately $1.4 billion of funded debt. 24 Hour Fitness is a leading fitness club operator with locations across the United States and more than 3 million members.*
- VIVUS, Inc. Chapter 11 Cases: represented VIVUS, Inc., and its debtor-affiliates in their chapter 11 restructuring addressing more than $230 million of funded debt.*
- Jason Industries: represented an ad hoc group of first lien creditors of Jason Industries, the North American industrials company, in connection with the restructuring of its $400 million of secured debt.*
- EP Energy Corporation: represented EP Energy Corporation, a public oil and natural gas exploration and production company, in its chapter 11 case involving approximately $4.9 billion in funded debt obligations
*Denotes prior firm experience
University of Illinois, College of Law
J.D., cum laude
- Staff Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
- Managing Editor, University of Illinois Business Law Journal