Byron Nicol is senior associate in our finance practice in London.
Byron has experience acting for banks, credit funds and other financial institutions as well as borrowers, investors and large corporates on a range of cross-border and domestic banking and finance transactions, including acquisition financing, bank-bond financings, general corporate and working capital facilities, subordinated financing products, unitranche financings and restructurings, involving both leveraged and investment grade borrower groups.
He completed a secondment in 2018 at the London office of NatWest with their Large Corporates and Structured Finance team.
*Denotes prior firm experience
- Super senior lenders in connection with Groupe Bruxelles Lambert's acquisition of a majority stake in Sanoptis (a leading network of ophthalmology clinics across Germany and Switzerland) from Telemos Capital.
- Financing sources to The Access Group in connection with a refinancing transaction and the financing of a substantial further investment by its shareholders, Hg and TA Associates. The largest private debt financing transaction ever undertaken in Europe.
- Co-investor in connection with a preference share issuance by a leading provider of energy and commodity price benchmarks.
- Park Square Capital in relation to the second lien financing for AEA Investors' acquisition of Polygon Group.*
- Lenders in connection with Carlyle’s acquisition of AutoForm Engineering GmbH.*
- Lenders in providing unitranche financing for the acquisition of a European online gaming group by a large corporate operating in the gaming sector.*
- Punch Pubs in connection its £600 million debut bond offering and £70 million related super senior revolving facilities agreement.*
- Canary Wharf Group in relation to its £906.3 million debut green bond offering, super senior revolving credit facility and refinancing.*
- The lead arranger in connection with Lone Star’s Public-to-Private takeover bid for McCarthy & Stone plc.*
- Lenders in providing unitranche financing to support the sponsor-backed acquisition of a UK incorporated petfood manufacturer.*
- The lead arrangers in relation to Bain Capital's acquisition of Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj.*
- Ad hoc group of bondholders in relation to the debt restructuring of a distressed Italian issuer and its subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions.*
- Barclays Bank plc, Goldman Sachs International and Nomura International plc, as joint financial advisers, in relation to Stonegate Pub Company's circa £1.3 billion recommended cash offer for EI Group plc.*
- Merrill Lynch International, as financial adviser, in relation to TDR Capital's £1.9 billion recommended cash offer for BCA Marketplace plc.*
University of Cape Town
University of Witwatersrand
- South Africa
- England and Wales
- Concourt Ruling Means a Sea Change for Banks and Other Lenders The Times, The Legal Times, 8 May 2015
- The Legal Effect of Amalgamations and Mergers upon Third Party Contracts Containing Anti-Transfer Provisions South African Mercantile Law Journal vol 25 (1) 2013.