Michael Pettingill, contract attorney counsel in the Real Estate practice, is an experienced real estate and structured finance lawyer who represents mortgage lenders, mezzanine lenders and borrowers on loans and workouts, investment managers on CLO warehouses and new issues, syndicate lenders on REIT credit facilities and bridge loans, and syndicate lenders and private equity sponsors on infrastructure and renewable energy finance and M&A transactions.
Michael represents life insurance companies on asset-based lending and structured finance transactions including for CLO warehouses, receivables and office buildings and industrial portfolios in Mexico. He spent five years as general counsel for a CLO Manager with $3.5 billion AUM and has represented CLO managers on cash and synthetic CLOs, separate accounts and M&A transactions since 2001. Michael has extensive experience representing financial institutions on credit default swaps, credit-linked note programs and receivables financing transactions and has represented rating agencies and special servicers in CMBS and CRE CLO transactions.
- Represented Deutsche Bank AG New York Branch, as administrative agent, in connection with $600 million in senior unsecured credit facilities for Summit Hotel Properties.
- Represented MetLife Real Estate Investors in connection with $137 million in mortgage and mezzanine financing for the acquisition of 440 Ninth Avenue in New York City by Taconic Investment Partners and TH Real Estate.
- Represented Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation as joint lead arranger and joint bookrunner of ¥33.3 billion Japanese yen-denominated unsecured line of credit for Digital Realty Trust.
- Represented Deutsche Bank AG New York Brank, as administrative agent, in connection with $600 million in senior unsecured credit facilities for Choice Hotels International.
- Represented Silvermine Capital Management as collateral manager of Man GLG US CLO 2018-2, a $616.4 million CLO reset transaction.
- Represented lenders on a $70 million credit facility to enable a CLO manager’s majority owned affiliate (MOA) to obtain warehouse financing and acquire horizontal risk retention securities for a series of CLOs.
- Represented lenders financing the acquisition by an MOA of a vertical strip of risk retention securities.
- Represented rating agencies on CMBS and CRE CLO transactions focusing on intercreditor and co-lending agreements.
- Represented Trimont Real Estate Advisors as special servicer for CMBS transactions. Representative transactions include, Caesars Palace Las Vegas Trust 2017-VICI, Cold Storage Trust 2017-ICE3, JPMCC 2017-MAUI and JPMCC 2016-ASH.
- Represented a commercial bank financing the acquisition of B-piece in a Freddie Mac CMBS transaction.
- Represented co-lenders on a credit facility financing a counterparty of Plug Power Inc. in a series of sale-leaseback transactions relating to hydrogen-powered industrial equipment employed at various Walmart distribution centers.
- Represented the developer of a 10.3 MW gas-fired combined cycle co-generation and ice production facility in its refinancing of a distressed senior construction loan and the simultaneous negotiation and documentation of a mezzanine construction loan and issuance of Series A and Series B shares.
- Represented CLO managers on M&A transactions, joint ventures and total return swap transactions.
- Represented insurance companies in the acquisition of mortgage loans on office, retail and industrial properties.
Villanova University School of Law
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association