Pawel Szaja is a partner in the Capital Markets practice. He is based in the London and Dubai offices and advises corporates, underwriters and private equity funds in EMEA on complex cross-border SEC-registered and Rule 144A / Regulation S equity and debt capital markets, M&A / private equity and SPAC/de-SPAC transactions as well as corporate governance, regulatory and ongoing reporting matters.
Pawel is a member of the Fintech Foundry program at Shearman & Sterling. He has completed secondments to the execution group at a major investment bank in London and the legal department at ADNOC in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Equity Capital Markets: initial public offerings, rights issues, placements, SPACs and equity-linked bonds(SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S), including offerings by Salik, Borouge, Fertiglobe, ADNOC Drilling, Enefit Green, Tristar (proposed IPO), ADNOC Distribution, Canal+ Polska (proposed IPO), Barry Callebaut, Technogym, Gulf Marine, Halyk Bank, Elkem, Terveystalo Oyj, ABN AMRO, Endesa, Yandex, TDC, NXP Semiconductors, Emaar Misr, Cleopatra Hospital Company, Citadele banka (proposed IPO), AIB Bank plc, Waberer's, Ladbrokes, Laird, New Look, OSRAM, Premier Foods, Alpha Bank, Autoneum, Hugo Boss, Western Refining, Banco Comercial Português, Ardmore Shipping, Banco Popular Español, Basic-Fit, Hispania Activos Inmobiliarios SOCIMI, Grivalia Properties, Marine Harvest, Irish Residential Properties REIT, McMoRan Exploration, Merlin Properties SOCIMI, Numericable, Logista, Espirito Santo Saude, Coface, Banca Carige, Banca Popolare dell'Emilia Romagna, Credito Valtelinese, Fidelity National Financial.
- Debt Capital Markets: investment grade and high yield bonds (SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S), project bonds, bank regulatory capital, commercial papers, including offerings by ADNOC, ACWA Power subsidiaries, Enel, Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline and Emirates Sembcorp Water & Power Company, SABMiller, The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, ENGIE, ArcelorMittal, Credit Suisse, Schaeffler, Odigeo, Digicel, Mylan, Yandex, NXP Semiconductors, ING Bank NV, StatoilHydro, Western Refining, Deutsche Industriebank, Polkomtel, Eurohypo, Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, Boston Gas Company, Keyspan Gas East Corporation, Kerry Group, Range Resources, General Dynamics Corporation, General Mills.
- Public / private M&A, de-SPACs and private equity investments, including the private placement by IFC, EBRD and PFR in Elemental Holding, the sale by Santander Poland of its stake in Aviva Poland, advice to MCI in connection with the de-SPAC and NASDAQ listing of Gett, the merger of Videocon d2h and Dish TV (Asia Pacific's largest direct-to-home TV company), the acquisition by a US listed company Wright Medical Group N.V. of IMASCAP, a French company, a planned public-to-private of a company in Central and Eastern Europe by a private equity fund, sale by EFG of a stake in Credit Libanais, the consortium of investment funds in connection with the acquisition of Eversholt Rail Group in the UK.
Columbia University School of Law
Goethe-University of Frankfurt/Main
- New York
- England and Wales
- Ireland - On the Roll
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as The Lawyer Hot 100 2020.
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” for Capital Markets by IFLR1000 2022.
- Recognised as a “'Next Generation Partner” for Debt Capital Markets in Legal 500 UK 2023.
- Recognised as a “Next Generation Partner” for Equity Capital Markets in Legal 500 UK 2023.
- “Pawel Szaja is an exceptional transactional lawyer, bringing a breadth of capital markets knowledge and focus on finding effective solutions to challenges that arise on a transaction” – Legal 500 UK, 2023
- “Pawel Szaja is exceptionally strong in his fields and a go-to name” – Legal 500 UK, 2021
- “Pawel Szaja is super bright, sees every part of the deal, is very switched-on, has a can-do approach and is responsive” – Legal 500 UK, 2021
Deal of the Year Recognitions
- Advised on the €795 million IPO of Fertiglobe was awarded “Equity Deal of the Year” at the IFLR Middle East Awards 2022.
- Advised on the €150 million IPO and privatization of Enefit Green which was awarded and “Deal of the Year" in Estonia at the Dealer’s Choice CEE Legal Awards 2021.
- Advised on the €670 million IPO and privatization of Nova Ljubljanska banka d.d., Ljubljana which was awarded “Equity Capital Markets Deal Team of the Year” at the 2019 Legal Week and American Lawyer Transatlantic Legal Awards and “Deal of the Year" in Slovenia at the Dealer’s Choice CEE Legal Awards 2019.
- Advised on the IPO of Waberer's which was awarded the “Deal of the Year” in Hungary at the Dealer’s Choice CEE Legal Awards 2018.
- Advised on the US$851 million ADNOC Distribution IPO which was awarded “Equity Deal of the Year” at the IFLR Awards 2018.
- Advised on the US$814 million bond offering by ACWA Power Management and Investments One Limited which was awarded “MENA Project Bond of the Year” by IJ Global Awards 2018, “MENA Bond Deal of the Year” by PFI Awards 2017 and “Structured Finance Deal of the Year” by Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Middle East Awards 2017.
Pawel is a frequent speaker at major industry conferences, including:
- Speaker at 2021 PLI Institute on Securities Regulation conference in London, panel: Regulatory Developments Affecting Capital Markets in the U.S.
- Speaker at conference in London: Russian Capital Markets organized by London Stock Exchange
- Moderator at panel discussion in London: Financing in 2020 (M&A, PE, VC)
- Moderator at panel discussion in London: Investments Conference at the UK FinTech Week 2020
- Speaker at panel discussion in London: Return of the Down Round? Financing Amidst a Pandemic
- Speaker at panel discussion in London: Wave of M&A Consolidation
- Speaker at conference in London: Capital Markets of Uzbekistan
- Moderator at panel discussion in London: Capital Raising Opportunities organized by London Stock Exchange
- Moderator at panel discussion in London: IFLR Capital Markets Forum
- Speaker at conference in Riga, Latvia: "How Does Listing SOE’s Benefit Economic Development?" at the TOP101 Debate
- Speaker at conference in Warsaw, Poland: Capital Markets outlook for Polish companies organized by London Stock Exchange