Legal Spotlight on Competition Trends in the EU and Mexico
The global antitrust landscape is ever-changing, with differing implementation from one jurisdiction to another, including in the EU and Mexico. Shearman & Sterling partner Elvira Aliende Rodriguez and Gonzalez Calvillo partner Cristina Massa led an insightful discussion highlighting some of the most pressing issues corporations and antitrust practitioners are facing in these jurisdictions.
Topics discussed run the gamut from recent cross-border decisions and views, to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the competition space, including:
- An analysis of the European Commission’s efforts to modernize competition rules to be applied in fast-changing markets
- Mexico’s newly created Digital Markets Division and the European Commission’s latest enforcement in the Digital Market and recent high-profile probes into the technology sector
- Future of leniency programs in the EU and Mexico
- Abuse of dominance inquiries across both jurisdictions
- Potential wave of merger control cases arising out of the ongoing pandemic and effects on those investigations