Jonathan Cheng is counsel in the Antitrust practice.
He specializes in the analysis of antitrust issues pertaining to mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures, particularly in the context of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and international merger control laws. He has prepared complex filings for a broad range of clients including private equity funds and portfolio companies, life science companies, oil and gas companies, software and technology companies, manufacturers, and retailers.
Jonathan has been praised by clients in The Legal 500 for being “approachable,” “friendly,” and a “terrific lawyer.”
Prior to joining the firm, Jonathan was a counsel in the antitrust group of a large U.S. based law firm.
- JetBlue Airways on its pending acquisition of Spirit Airlines, in a transformational move to become the fifth-largest carrier in the U.S.
- Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited in connection with the pending sale of its Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group and Pethealth Inc. to JAB Holding Company for $1.4 billion.
- PSA International on the global competition aspects of its acquisition of global logistics solutions provider BDP International.
- Chevron on its $3.15 billion acquisition of Renewable Energy Group, Inc. (REG).
- Paramount Global in its pending sale of Simon & Schuster to Penguin Random House.
- Glatfelter in its acquisition of the Jacob Holm Group and its acquisition of Georgia-Pacific’s U.S. nonwovens business.
- Hitachi’s acquisition of GlobalLogic, valued at $9.5 billion.
- Bunge in its sale of certain grain elevators to Zen-Noh Corporation.Hitachi’s acquisition of GlobalLogic, valued at $9.5 billion.
- NIC Inc.’s sale to Tyler Technologies Inc., valued at approximately $2.3 billion.
- Citrix Systems’ acquisition of Wrike, Inc., valued at $2.25 billion.
- Boston Scientific’s sale of BTG Specialty Pharmaceuticals to portfolio companies of Charterhouse Capital Partners, valued at $800 million.
- TELUS International’s acquisition of Lionbridge AI, valued at $935 million.
- Genmab A/S’s broad collaboration agreement with AbbVie Inc. to, among other things, develop and commercialize investigational bispecific antibody candidates.
- Chevron Corp.’s acquisition of Noble Energy Inc., valued at $5 billion.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board as a member of a consortium in its $2.7 billion acquisition of Waystar, Inc.*
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc.’s $4.8 billion acquisition of Oaktree Capital Group, LLC.*
- Canon Inc.’s $6.1 billion acquisition of Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation.*
- Avolon Holdings Limited’s $2.2 billion sale to ORIX Aviation Systems Limited.*
- Berkshire Partners and Canada Plan Pension Investment Board’s $2.63 billion sale of Husky International to Platinum Partners.*
*Denotes prior firm experience
Yeshiva University, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- New York State Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section
- Select Antitrust Topics for Minority Investments, presented to a client, January 18, 2023
- Practice Area Spotlight: Antitrust, Cardozo Law School, October 23, 2020
- Multijurisdictional Matters and the Young Lawyer’s Role, Canadian Bar Association, February 27, 2019
- Becoming an Antitrust Attorney, New York State Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, February 20, 2019
- Contributor, Merger Remedies Guide, Global Competition Review (3rd ed. 2020)
- Contributor, Premerger Coordination: The Emerging Law of Gun Jumping and Information Exchange, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2nd ed. forthcoming)
- Contributor, Private Equity Antitrust Handbook, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2015
- Contributor, Premerger Notification Practice Manual, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (5th ed. 2015)