Daniel Lewis, a partner in the firm’s Litigation practice, has been recognized in Chambers USA, The Legal 500, and Benchmark Litigation. These publications have said “he has a very thorough understanding of clients' businesses and is very tuned in to their needs and goals,” “he has a real willingness to help and go the extra mile,” “he’s a great lawyer,” he is “one of the most thoughtful and thorough litigators,” “he’s a delightful person to work with,” that “[i]t's hard to pick the superlatives,” that "[h]e's a true [securities] subject matter expert, he lives and breathes this stuff, and is a very strong writer and tactician,” “he conveys a strong sense of being in control of a complex and dynamic matter,” and that he provides “extremely good client service.” He focuses his practice on representing financial institutions and corporations in complex securities class actions, M&A litigation and regulatory matters, as well as in commercial litigation involving financial products, derivatives and banking issues in federal and state courts. In particular, he has helped clients to manage matters in which cases have been filed in multiple jurisdictions. He also represents companies and officers and directors in complex commercial and ERISA litigation, and regularly provides securities and other litigation advice to a wide range of corporate clients.
- Counsel to Countrywide Financial Corporation in ongoing institutional RMBS purchaser actions in state and federal courts across the United States, including litigations in nine different states filed against Countrywide Financial and related entities by institutional plaintiffs such as federal home loan banks, mutual and hedge funds, insurance companies and regional banks
- Counsel to underwriters, including clients such as Bank of America, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse and dozens of others in separate securities class actions arising out of recent stock offerings of companies such as SunEdison, TerraForm Global, ARCP, Arconic, Loma Negra, PPDAI, ZTO Express, Synchrony, Sunrun, Tesla, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Magnum Hunter Resources, MF Global, Fifth Third Bank, Focus Media, TCP International, Alnylam, MOL Global, Navient, Apigee, China Mobile Games & Entertainment, and Popular, Inc. (commonly known as Banco Popular)
- Lead counsel to a major global bank in connection multiple civil RICO and common law suits related to events in Latin America.
- Counsel to Merrill Lynch in class action and other litigation arising from Enron’s collapse, including the historic rejection of “scheme liability” by the Fifth Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court
- Counsel to Nomura International plc, Nomura Securities Co. Ltd. and Nomura Global Financial Products Inc. in actions brought by Lehman Brothers in U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeking to disallow their combined $1 billion in claims against the Lehman bankruptcy estates
- Counsel to Nomura International plc in litigation regarding the interpretation of bond indentures
- Counsel to Nokia and certain of the Company’s directors and officers in a securities class action
- Counsel to Huntsman Corporation in contested merger litigation with Hexion Specialty Chemicals
- Counsel to Daimler AG in an ERISA-related class action by Chrysler’s creditors based on Daimler’s divestiture of 80% of its interest in Chrysler in a 2007 transaction with Cerberus Capital Partners
Yale Law School
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Awards & Accolades
- Daniel is recognized in Chambers USA, The Legal 500, and Benchmark Litigation for securities litigation
- Founding Member, Beyond #MeToo: A Working Group on Corporate Governance, Compliance, and Risk