Jordan Altman is a partner in the Intellectual Property Transactions Group.
He practices corporate law with an emphasis on structuring, drafting and negotiating agreements that focus on the development, transfer, procurement, commercialization and maintenance of intellectual property and technology. He also counsels clients, including public companies, growing technology-driven businesses and start-ups on intellectual property portfolio development. He has extensive experience working with clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, chemical, entertainment, sports, automotive, software and financial services industries.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Jordan practiced patent and trademark prosecution for pharmaceutical and medical device companies and participated in patent and trade secret litigation. He also examined patent applications for inventions relating to immunological functions at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office before obtaining his law degree.
- The Dow Chemical Company in the $130 billion transaction with DuPont involving combination of the two companies and separating them into three publicly trading entities and the resulting $50 billion spin-off of Dow Inc.; divestiture of Dow’s global polypropylene business to Braskem; $15.7 billion acquisition of Rohm and Haas; $1.7 billion sale of Morton Salt; sale of the styrene chemicals business to Bain Capital; sale of assets comprising EAA copolymers and ionomers business to SK Global Chemical Co.; sale of European extruded polystyrene foam business to Ravago SA.
- General Electric Company in various matters, including in the combination of GE Oil & Gas with Baker Hughes, Inc. to create a $32 billion oilfield technology provider; the $3.25 billion sale of its Distributed Power business to Advent; its Na-NiCl battery joint venture with Chaowei Lvna, a subsidiary of Hong Kong listed Chaowei Power Holdings Limited; the $4.3 billion acquisition of Avio Group from Cinven; and on the sale of GE Asset Management Inc. to State Street Corp.
- Corning Incorporated in its acquisition of Axygen BioScience, Inc. from American Capital, Ltd. and its acquisition of 3M Company’s Fiber and Copper Connectivity Solutions Business
- Raytheon in connection with its pending ‘merger of equals’ with United Technologies Corporation and on the sale of its Military Airborne Radios business to BAE Systems
- Boston Scientific Corporation in its acquisition of the urology portfolio of American Medical Systems, Inc. from Endo International plc, in connection with its sale of its drug-eluting and bland embolizing bead business to Varian Medical Systems, in connection with the sale of royalty interests in respect of oncology drug Zytiga to OMERS, and in connection with multiple divestitures
- GlaxoSmithKline in its $5.1 billion acquisition of Tesaro
- CVS Health Corporation in its $69 billion acquisition of Aetna Inc.
- Novartis AG in connection with its acquisition of the over-the-counter consumer medicines business of Bristol Myers Squibb Company; and in in its $3.9 billion acquisition of the French radiopharmaceutical company, Advanced Accelerator Applications
- Citibank N.A. in its sale of Citi’s Alternative Investor Services business, comprised of Hedge Fund Services and Private Equity Fund Services, to SS&C Technologies
- Citigroup Inc. in its sale of the Mexican asset management business of Citibanamex to BlackRock Inc., in the acquisition and disposition of various domestic and international credit card receivables portfolios, including the acquisition of the Costco co-branded credit card portfolio from American Express Company; and with the acquisition from Capital One Financial Corporation of credit card receivables and accounts related to Best Buy Co. Inc.’s existing credit card program; and in the negotiation of program agreements with retailers for the creation of credit card programs
- Salesforce.com, inc. in its acquisition of Demandware, Inc. for approximately $2.8 billion
- LyondellBasell Industries N.V. in its $2.25 billion merger with A. Schulman, Inc. and in its acquisition of synthesis gas assets from Linde AG
- Viacom, Inc. in its acquisitions of the Garfield and U.S. Acres franchises, the Sparkler mobile and web applications, VidCon, AwesomenessTV and the SnowGlobe Music Festival
- Altice N.V. in its acquisition of Cablevision Systems Corporation
- Liberty Global plc in its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications plc
- Ardagh Group in connection with its combination of its Food & Specialty Metal Packaging business with Exal Corporation and in its purchase from Ball Corporation and Rexam PLC of certain metal beverage can manufacturing assets for an enterprise value of $3.42 billion
- B/E Aerospace in its $6.4 billion acquisition by Rockwell Collins
- Thomson Reuters in its acquisition of Capital Confirmation, Inc. and its acquisition of REDI Holdings
- JetBlue Airways in the sale of its live in-flight entertainment and connectivity business to Thales Avionics
- Legg Mason in its acquisition of a majority stake in Clarion Partners Holdings LLC
- Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. in various matters, including the sale of its “Interactive Data Managed Solutions” business and the sale of Trayport
- Sonic Corp. in its $2.3 billion sale to Inspire Brands
- Discovery Communications LLC in connection with the separation of its UKTV joint venture with BBC Studios
- Ecopetrol in connection with its joint venture with Occidental Petroleum Corporation
- Lanxess Corporation in its acquisition of the clean and disinfect of business from Chemours and in its acquisition of the phosphorous additives business from Solvay US
- McGraw Hill Financial in connection with its sale of J.D. Power for $1.1 billion
- Albemarle Corporation in its acquisition of Rockwood Holdings, Inc. and in the sale of its Chemetall surface treatment business to BASF
- Warner Music Group in its acquisition of assets from SongKick.com, in its acquisition of Sodatone Inc. and in its equity investment in a company that performs audience data analytics
- Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. in the dissolution of its global alliance with The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- SunGard Data Systems Inc. in its acquisition by Fidelity National Information Services Inc.
- J.D. Power & Associates in its acquisition of the Used Car Guide Business of the National Automobile Dealers Association
- Lafarge SA in the sale of its North American Gypsum business to an affiliate of Lone Star Funds
- Stone Point Capital in connection with the merger of Pierpont Securities LLC with Amherst Securities Group LP
- WebMD Health Corp. in various corporate and transactional matters, including in its sale of Porex Corporation and in the acquisition by Internet Brands, a portfolio company of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.
- Itaú Unibanco in connection with multiple software license agreements
- Daimler AG in its sale of the automotive and financial services business of the Chrysler Group to Cerberus Capital Management
- New England Sports Ventures (the parent company of the Boston Red Sox) in its acquisition of the Liverpool Football Club of the English Premier League
- Nokia Corporation in connection with its acquisition of SpaceTime Insight, Inc., and with the acquisition of Withings
- Shiseido Company Limited in the $485 million sale of its subsidiary, Zotos International Inc., to Henkel Corporation
- SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. in the $1.45 billion acquisition of Eze Software Group LLC
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries in connection with its purchase of Taro Pharmaceutical Industries
- Textron Inc. in its $810 million sale of its Tools and Test Business to Emerson Electric Co.
- Tata Tea Ltd. in its acquisition of an equity interest in Glacéau, the maker of Vitaminwater
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated in connection with multiple acquisitions
- Genmab A/S in connection with various technology license and commercialization agreements for a pharmaceutical compound and with its initial public offering and listing on the Nasdaq
- Aabar Investments PJSC in its acquisition of an equity interest in Virgin Galactic
- Various agreements for funding the clinical development of therapeutic compounds belonging to Dynavax Technologies Corp. and Ionis Pharmaceuticals
- China Mobile Ltd. in connection with a joint venture with Vodafone and Verizon Wireless for the development of mobile phone technologies
- American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. in connection with establishing a joint venture in China for the development of automotive technologies, and in connection with its $1.6 billion cash and stock acquisition of Metaldyne Performance Group Inc.
- Caris Life Sciences, Inc. in connection with the sale of its anatomic pathology business to Miraca Holdings
- LMA International N.V. in its acquisition of Wolfe Tory Medical, Inc. and its sale to Teleflex, Inc.
- GENEWIZ Group, a leading global genomics service provider, in connection with being acquired by Brooks Automation
M.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, cum laude
State University of New York at Binghamton
B.S. in Biology, cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a “Top Intellectual Property Lawyer in North America” by MergerLinks (2019)
- “Recommended” by IAM Patent 1000 (2019)
- Recognized for Technology: Transactions by Legal 500 US 2016
- Shearman & Sterling ranked in Top 10 for Advising on Private Technology Transactions in PrivCo’s list of Top Legal Advisors in Tech (2015)
- Co-Author, “INSIGHT: Registering Immoral, Scandalous Trademarks Following Brunetti,” Bloomberg Law, Sept. 2019
- Co-Author, “Safe Secrets: Dealing with Data Privacy Issues in M&A,” Mergermarket, Mar. 2017
- Co-Author, “License to Leak: The DTSA and the Risks of Immunity,” Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Oct. 2016
- Co-Author, “The Mega Scale of Meso Scale,” Intellectual Property Magazine, Sept. 2015
- Co-Author, “Prioritizing Patents for Stem Cell Inventions,” LAW360, Feb. 11, 2009
- Co-Author, “On Shaky Ground (an analysis of Propat v. Rpost),” Patent World, May 2007