Theresa Amato is counsel in the Executive Group, and was formerly a senior associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Her international arbitration experience includes construction arbitrations conducted in accordance with ICC and ICDR Rules, as well as enforcement proceedings before U.S. courts.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Theresa spent more than two decades as a litigator, advisor, of counsel, in-house counsel, general counsel or executive director in various nonprofit, for profit and political entities.
RECENT International Arbitration EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
- The U.S. proceedings to confirm on behalf of the majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company three Final Awards in which the Arbitral Tribunal ordered the Russian Federation to pay over US $50 billion in damages to our clients.This is the largest arbitral award ever rendered by an arbitral tribunal.
- Representation of a State-owned Latin American oil and gas company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration against a contractor involving the expansion of a refinery.The seat of arbitration is The Hague.
- Representation of an international joint venture as Respondent and Counterclaimant and in an ICDR arbitration in New York initiated by a North Asian company. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a chemical plant in North America. Issues included delay and defective works. New York law applied.
- The U.S. enforcement of Confessions of Judgment against large corporate investors in default of their loan obligations to a consortium of international banks.
- The pursuit of information for use in foreign proceedings through various actions brought under 28 U.S.C. § 1782.
A.B. in Government and Economics, cum laude
New York University School of Law
- Root Tilden Snow Scholar
- Senior Note & Comment Editor, New York University Law Review
- NYU National Moot Court Team & Award
- Orison S. Marden Medal (Best oral argument NYU Moot Court)
- Vanderbilt Medal
- Honorable Robert W. Sweet, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
- Washington, DC
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Elected Member, American Law Institute (Member of the Consultative Groups for the forthcoming Restatements of Law on International Commercial Arbitration, and Consumer Contracts)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Advisor, Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Economic Club of Chicago
- Co-author, Appendix 1 to Steven Gee Q.C., Commercial Injunctions 913 (6th ed. 2016)
- For a full list of publications, see Theresaamato.com
Awards & Accolades
- Wasserstein Fellow, Harvard Law School (1998-1999)
- Fellow, Institute of Politics, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (Fall, 2002)
- NYU School of Law Public Service Award (1999)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law Public Service Award (2000)
- The American Lawyer, 45 Under 45 (1997)
- Theresa is the founder (1993) and current President of the Citizen Advocacy Center
- She also served as an Adjunct Professor, Distinguished Scholar in Residence, at Loyola University Chicago School of Law (2013-2015)