Roger Baneman is Of Counsel in the Tax practice.
He focuses on a wide range of tax-related issues including corporate, partnership and individual tax issues, both in the domestic and international context. He has extensive experience in the partnership area, including limited liability companies.
Roger joined the firm in 1976, left in 1980 to serve with the U.S. Treasury Department, rejoined in 1982, became a partner in 1985 and became Of Counsel in 2015.
- Structuring investment funds, management companies and compensation arrangements.
- Advice on mutual fund operations and mergers.
- Structuring real estate transactions and funds, including for non-U.S. and tax-exempt investors.
- Advising on the organization and operation of REITs.
- Advice on tax issues in workouts and bankruptcies.
- Structuring cross-border ventures and investments.
Harvard Law School
- Advisor, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) (2013-present)
- Adjunct Professor, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (2003-2012)
- Office of Tax Legislative Counsel, U.S. Treasury Department, (1980-1982),first as Attorney-Advisor and later as Acting Associate Tax Legislative Counsel
- Legislative Proposals to Use REITs and RICs for Renewables, Tax Notes, April 6, 2015, p. 111
- Financially Distressed Companies Answer Book 2013 (PLI), Author of chapter on “Tax Issues”
- Preferential Dividends in the Regulated Investment Company Context, Tax Notes, April 3, 2006, p. 49
- Speaker and Author, New York University’s 61st Annual Institute on Federal Taxation, (Fall 2002); Topic: Proposed Regulations on Corporate Mergers Involving Disregarded Entities
- Selected Issues in Equity-Based Compensation for Partnerships and LLCs, (2001, updated version published at 651 PLI/Tax 589 (2005))
- Speaker and Author, New York University’s 58th Annual Institute on Federal Taxation, (Fall 1999); Topic: Some Current Issues in Like-Kind Exchanges
- Speaker and Author, New York University’s 56th Annual Institute on Federal Taxation, (Fall 1997); Topi Check-the-Box Planning in the International Context, (updated version published at 661 PLI/Tax 727 (2005))