Daniel Barbosa is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes business combination and energy arbitrations conducted under the Rules of the ICC and the LCIA, as well as arbitration-related proceedings before French courts.
International arbitrations on which Daniel Barbosa has worked include the representation of:
- A European life sciences company as Respondent in an arbitration brought by a European chemical company seeking indemnification under a Share Purchase Agreement. The law of the Claimant’s State applies.
- A West African State-owned energy company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in London initiated by a local subsidiary of a North American oil company. The dispute arises from a purchase and sale agreement related to concession rights in two deepwater oil blocks off the coast of the Respondent’s State.
- A West African State-owned company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by a local subsidiary of a North American oil company. The dispute arises from a joint operating agreement concerning petroleum exploration and production operations in a deepwater oil block off the coast of the Respondent’s State. English law applies.
- Thirteen financial investment companies and two individuals as Claimants in an ICC arbitration in Paris against a major European telecommunications company. The dispute related to the breach of a settlement agreement that was previously entered into by the parties in relation to multiple claims brought in several litigation proceedings. Brazilian law applied. Over USD 15 billion was at stake.
- Latin American investment companies as Claimants in an ICC arbitration in London against a Latin American pension fund. The dispute relates to the revision and breach of a settlement agreement that was previously entered into by the parties in relation to multiple claims brought in several litigation proceedings. Brazilian law applies.
- Latin American investment companies as applicants in proceedings before French courts to seek the annulment of an award rendered in an ICC arbitration.
- Nine Asian Independent Power Producers (IPPs) in the jurisdiction phase of an LCIA arbitration seated in London brought against a Pakistani State-owned entity. The dispute arose out of the non-payment of certain amounts under Power Purchase Agreements concluded between the IPPs and the State-owned entity. Pakistani law applied.
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Avocat à la Cour, Paris
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF)
- “Two Sides of the Same Coin: To What Extent is Arbitration with the Brazilian Administration Similar to Investment-treaty Arbitration?,” in Investment Protection in Brazil (D. de Andrade Levy, A. Gerdau de Borja & A. N. Pucci eds., Kluwer, 2014) (with Pedro Martini)