Daniel Barbosa is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes business combination and energy arbitrations conducted under the Rules of the ICC and the LCIA, as well as arbitration-related proceedings before French courts.
International arbitrations on which Daniel Barbosa has worked include the representation of:
- An African energy company in an LCIA arbitration in London brought by a European energy company. The dispute relates to the management and dissolution of a consortium for offshore gas exploration. English law applies.
- A European life sciences company, Respondent in an arbitration brought by a European chemical company seeking indemnification under a Share Purchase Agreement. The law of the Claimant’s State applied.
- Sonangol E.P., Respondent in an ICC arbitration in London initiated by a local subsidiary of U.S. oil company Cobalt International Energy. The dispute arose from a purchase and sale agreement related to concession rights in two deepwater oil blocks off the coast of Angola. The law of Angola applied and over $2.2 billion was at stake.
- Sonangol Pesquisa e Produção, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by a local subsidiary of U.S. oil company Cobalt International Energy. The dispute arose from a joint operating agreement concerning petroleum exploration and production operations in a deepwater oil block off the coast of Angola. English law applied.
- Latin American investment companies and two individuals, Claimants in an ICC arbitration in Paris against a major European telecommunications company. The dispute related to the breach of a settlement agreement that was previously entered into by the parties in relation to multiple claims brought in several litigation proceedings. Brazilian law applied. Over $15 billion was at stake. We also represented the Claimants in proceedings to revise the award rendered in the ICC arbitration before an arbitral tribunal, based on the Claimants’ allegations that the Respondents committed procedural fraud in the course of the arbitration, and we represent the Claimants in annulment proceedings before the Paris Court of Appeal.
- Latin American investment companies, Claimants in an ICC arbitration in London against a Latin American pension fund. The dispute relates to the revision and breach of a settlement agreement that was previously entered into by the parties in relation to multiple claims brought in several litigation proceedings. Brazilian law applies.
- Nine Asian Independent Power Producers (IPPs) in the jurisdiction phase of an LCIA arbitration in London brought against a Pakistani State-owned entity. The dispute arose out of the non-payment of certain amounts under Power Purchase Agreements concluded between the IPPs and the State-owned entity. Pakistani law applied.
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Member, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Member, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF)
- “Two Sides of the Same Coin: To What Extent is Arbitration with the Brazilian Administration Similar to Investment-treaty Arbitration?,” in Investment Protection in Brazil (D. de Andrade Levy, A. Gerdau de Borja & A. N. Pucci eds., Kluwer, 2014) (co-author)