Matthew Bersani is the Global Head of the Corporate Finance practice.
He regularly advises clients on complex regulatory and transactional matters, including FCPA/anti-corruption compliance, securities offerings, SEC compliance and cross-border capital markets transactions. He is a frequent speaker on the FCPA, the JOBS Act, SEC rules and related legal and regulatory developments. Matters in which Matthew has been involved include equity and debt offerings of all kinds and corporate governance matters. Matthew has worked on many of the most sensitive and complex matters in Asia for over 20 years.
Matthew represents leading financial institution and corporate clients including PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited, CK Hutchison Holdings Limited, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley and China Merchants Securities as sponsors in connection with the approximately $510 million global offering and initial public offering of WuXi Biologics (Cayman) Inc. on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- CK Hutchison Holdings Limited in connection with a series of debt offerings.
- Morgan Stanley India Company Private Limited as placement agent in connection with MakeMyTrip Limited’s $165 million private investment public in public equity offering of ordinary shares.
- The underwriters, led by Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank in connection with the $101 million initial public offering and listing on the NASDAQ Global Select Market of Hutchison China MediTech Limited, a China-based, globally-focused healthcare group that researches, develops, manufactures and sells pharmaceuticals and health-related consumer products.
- Erdenes Oyu Tolgoi LLC, a Mongolian state-owned company, regarding joint venture and financing matters for the $10 billion Oyu Tolgoi copper and gold project, the largest financial undertaking in Mongolia’s history and one of the largest mine financings completed to date, which project is jointly owned by Rio Tinto and Erdenes.
- Star Petroleum Refining Public Company Limited, the Thai refining unit of Chevron Corporation, in connection with its $363.4 million initial public offering and listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. The offering included an international offering in reliance on Rule 144A and Reg S.
- Citigroup, DSP Merrill Lynch Limited, Credit Suisse, HSBC and J. P. Morgan, ICICI Securities, Kotak Mahindra Capital Company Limited and SBI in connection with the US registered $1.2 billion global rights offering by Tata Motors.
- Morgan Stanley and Bualuang Securities as joint global coordinators in connection with a THB 55 billion ($1.685 billion) initial public offering of investment units of Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund and listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, including an international offering in reliance on Rule 144A and Reg S.
- The underwriters, led by Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse and China Renaissance in connection with the $72 million initial public offering of Tuniu Corporation, a leading online leisure travel company in China, on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange.
Columbia University School of Law
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a leading individual in China, Hong Kong, Thailand and India by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia (2009-2017).
- Cited as “top tier” or “highly recommended” in various guides to the world’s leading lawyers.