Stephen Besen is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
He has extensive experience representing clients in complex cross-border public and private M&A transactions. Clients rely on his broad-based experience in structuring and negotiating acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures, as well as advising on general corporate legal matters.
He regularly represents financial institutions, asset management firms and industrial/infrastructure clients in Asia, Europe and the United States.
Financial Institutions & Asset Managers
- Legg Mason in its acquisition of a majority stake in Clarion Partners Holdings LLC.
- Citibanamex in the sale of its asset management business to a subsidiary of BlackRock, Inc.
- Citibank in the sale of its retail and commercial banking operations in Peru to The Bank of Nova Scotia, and in the sale of Citi’s Alternative Investor Services business, comprised of hedge fund services and private equity fund services, to SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc.
- Global X Management in its sale to Horizon ETF Management, a subsidiary of Mirae Asset Global Investments.
- The Rohatyn Group (TRG) in its acquisition of the management of CVCI funds from Citigroup, the acquisition of management of the GMO Renewable Resource Funds and the acquisition of Asian Infrastructure Funds from JPMorgan.
- Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC in the transfer of its private wealth management practice to two major global financial institutions.
- Mizuho Financial Group in its acquisition of a $36.5 billion portfolio of North American loan commitments from the Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC.
- Amundi Group in its acquisition, through subsidiary Amundi USA, Inc., of all of the outstanding shares of Smith Breeden Associates, Inc.
- UBS Financial Services in its acquisition of McDonald Investment.
- Permal Group in its sale to Legg Mason.
- Deutsche Bank in the sale of its worldwide custody business to State Street and the sale of various private equity and venture capital investments.
- Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. in the dissolution of its global alliance with The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
- Paharpur Cooling Towers Ltd. in its acquisition of SPX Corporation’s dry cooling business.
- Dycom Industries Inc. in a variety of transactions, including its acquisitions of telecom infrastructure businesses of Quanta Services and Goodman Networks.
- Tata Group in its investments in the ride hailing application Uber Technologies, FCM LLC, Dallas-based multi-channel financial services platform Mozido, Inc. as well as its investment in and subsequent sale of the beverage company Energy Brands.
- Scripps Networks Interactive in its joint venture with DIRECTV Latin America, LLC.
- B/E Aerospace in its spin-off of KLX, Inc. and in its acquisitions of TSI Group Inc. and UFC Aerospace Corp.
- Deere & Company in the sale of a majority interest in its landscape business, John Deere Landscapes LLC, to private equity firm Clayton Dubilier & Rice.
- Aditya Birla Group, an Indian multinational conglomerate, in its acquisition of Atlanta-headquartered Columbian Chemicals Company, becoming the world’s largest carbon black manufacturer by volume.
- AmeriGas Partners, L.P. in its acquisition of Heritage and Titan Propane from Energy Transfer Partners.
- Saudi Basic Industries Corp. (SABIC) in its acquisition of GE Plastics.
- Transaction Committee of Huntsman Corporation in its sale to Hexion, a portfolio company of Apollo Investment.
- Siemens AG in its acquisitions of CTI Molecular Imaging, U.S. Filter and Robicon Corporation, and in its sale of Unisphere Networks to Juniper Networks.
- OMERS Infrastructure Management Inc. in its acquisition of Leeward Renewable Energy, LLC from ArcLight and its acquisition of a 49% equity interest in a portfolio of wind farms from EDP Renovaveis, S.A.
- Industry Funds Management (IFM) in the acquisition of a minority interest in VIP Terminals.
- Capital Square Partners in its acquisition of a majority interest in StarTek in exchange for Aegis.
- Diamond Castle Holdings in the sale of Bonten Media Group to Sinclair Television group.
- TRG in the potential sale of Ness Digital Engineering and in Ness Technologies acquisition of Linium LLC.
- DLJ Merchant Banking in the sale of Peachtree Financial to J.G. Wentworth and in its $750 million investment in TXU.
Columbia University School of Law
J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
S.B. in Management and Economics
Awards & Accolades
- Stephen Besen has been recognized as one of the leading lawyers in corporate/M&A and private equity by Chambers USA and Legal 500.
- He was named “Deal Maker of the Year” by The American Lawyer for his role in SABIC’s acquisition of GE Plastics.