Charles Bouttier is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under ICC, ICSID, UNCITRAL and HKIAC Rules.
International arbitrations on which Charles Bouttier has worked include the representation of:
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Ortiz Construcciones y Proyectos S.A. (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/1). The dispute relates to housing and public infrastructure projects. The claims are brought under the Algeria-Spain bilateral investment treaty.
- An aviation consultancy firm in an ICC arbitration in Paris brought against a European aircraft manufacturer. The dispute relates to unpaid invoices and the damages arising from the termination of the commercial relationship between the parties.
- An international joint venture, Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Geneva brought against North Asian contractors. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a fertilizer plant in an African State. Over $1.6 billion was at stake.
- A Central Asian conglomerate in a dispute subject to HKIAC arbitration against a European contractor. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a hotel in Central Asia. The law of our client’s State applied.
- Sonatrach, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by Saipem SpA and Saipem Contracting Algérie SpA. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of an oil & gas production facility in North Africa. Algerian law applied. Over $1 billion was at stake.
- A European company in the renewable energy sector and its subsidiaries, Claimants in a multi-contract ICC arbitration in Paris against a European contractor and its French subsidiary. The dispute related to alleged defects in the equipment delivered by the Respondent. French law applied.
- A North American agribusiness company, Respondent in an ICC arbitration initiated by European agribusiness companies. The dispute related to the parties’ rights of use with respect to proprietary biotechnology. French law applied.
Queen Mary, University of London
Université de Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Master 2 Arbitrage et Droit du commerce international
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master Droit international
- Secretary, IAI Working Group on Supporting the Right of Defence in Investor-State Dispute Settlement