Charles Bouttier is an associate in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice. His experience includes international arbitrations under ICC, UNCITRAL and HKIAC Rules.
International arbitrations on which Charles Bouttier has worked include the representation of:
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Ortiz Construcciones y Proyectos S.A. (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/1). The dispute relates to housing and public infrastructure projects. The claims are brought under the Algeria-Spain bilateral investment treaty.
- An international joint venture as Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Geneva brought against North Asian contractors. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a fertilizer plant in an African State.
- A Central Asian conglomerate in a dispute subject to HKIAC arbitration against a European contractor. The dispute arises from an agreement for the construction of a hotel in Central Asia. The law of our client’s State applies.
- Sonatrach as Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by Saipem SpA and Saipem Contracting Algérie SpA. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of an oil & gas production facility in North Africa. Algerian law applied. Over USD 1 billion was at stake.
- A European company in the renewable energy sector and its subsidiaries as Claimants in a multi-contract ICC arbitration in Paris against a European contractor and its French subsidiary. The dispute relates to alleged defects in the equipment delivered by the Respondents. French law applies
- A North American agribusiness company as Respondent in an ICC arbitration initiated by European agribusiness companies. The dispute related to the parties’ rights of use with respect to proprietary biotechnology. French law applied.
Queen Mary, University of London
Université de Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Master 2 Arbitrage et Droit du commerce international
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master Droit international