Charles Bouttier is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Charles focuses on construction and engineering disputes, in both commercial and investment arbitrations. He has experience under the arbitration rules of the ICC, ICSID, HKIAC as well as UNCITRAL.
International arbitrations on which Charles Bouttier has worked include the representation of:
- A North African State-owned mining and chemicals company in relation to claims for delays, associated costs and scope changes relating to the construction of two chemical processing plants.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Société des Parcs d’Alger and Emirates International Investment Company LLC (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/11). The dispute arises from a contract for the development of a $5 billion urban park project.
- An aviation consultancy firm in an ICC arbitration in Paris brought against a European aircraft manufacturer. The dispute relates to unpaid invoices and the damages arising from the termination of the commercial relationship between the parties.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by Ortiz Construcciones y Proyectos S.A. (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/1). The dispute relates to housing and public infrastructure projects. The claims are brought under the Algeria-Spain bilateral investment treaty.
- An international joint venture, Claimant in an ICC arbitration in Geneva brought against North Asian contractors. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a fertilizer plant in an African State. Over $1.6 billion was at stake.
- A Central Asian conglomerate in a dispute subject to HKIAC arbitration against a European contractor. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of a hotel in Central Asia. The law of our client’s State applied.
- Sonatrach, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Paris initiated by Saipem SpA and Saipem Contracting Algérie SpA. The dispute arose from an agreement for the construction of an oil & gas production facility in North Africa. Algerian law applied. Over $1 billion was at stake.
- A European company in the renewable energy sector and its subsidiaries, Claimants in a multi-contract ICC arbitration in Paris against a European contractor and its French subsidiary. The dispute related to alleged defects in the equipment delivered by the Respondent. French law applied.
- A North American agribusiness company, Respondent in an ICC arbitration initiated by European agribusiness companies. The dispute related to the parties’ rights of use with respect to proprietary biotechnology. French law applied.
Queen Mary, University of London
Université de Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines
Master 2 Arbitrage et Droit du commerce international
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master Droit international
- Secretary, IAI Working Group on Supporting the Right of Defence in Investor-State Dispute Settlement