Roberta Berliner Cherman is counsel in the Capital Markets practice.
Her practice focuses on capital markets for United States and Brazilian corporations and financial institutions.
Roberta began her career as an associate in Shearman & Sterling’s Capital Markets Group in New York. Most recently, she held the position of Head of the Legal Department at Itau BBA International plc, in Lisbon and London, and Head of the trade finance, structured products and funding team for Itaú Unibanco S.A.’s legal department.
- Advised Itaú Unibanco S.A.’s Executive Committee and various business-related areas on corporate governance, regulatory framework, structured products, cross-border syndicated and bilateral financings, derivatives products, debt capital markets, proprietary Medium Term Note, Structured Notes and Commercial Paper programs
- Advised U.S. and Latin American companies and investment banks as issuer's and underwriter's counsel in registered offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities (including structured and asset-backed offerings in both capital and bank markets, initial public offerings and secondary offerings of American depositary shares, exchangeable securities and perpetual notes, medium-term note programs, commercial paper programs, credit-linked notes and notes supported by political risk insurance, repackaging of corporate securities, and asset securitizations); elaborated consent solicitations and exchange offers; advised U.S. insurance company in drafting and negotiating political risk insurance policies
- Advised lenders, borrowers and guarantors in connection with credit agreements, syndicated loans and export finance transactions involving upstream and downstream guarantees; drafted and negotiated loan documentation, including credit agreements, security agreements, guarantees, subordination agreements, account control agreements and intercreditor agreements
- Assisted domestic and foreign private issuers with general corporate matters including the preparation of annual and periodical reports required to be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission; drafted various memoranda regarding compliance by foreign private issuers with U.S. securities regulation, publicity during public offerings and compliance with securities rules and regulations
University of Chicago Law School
Faculdades Integradas Cândido Mendes
- Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil