Niels Dejean, a partner in the firm’s Paris office, practices in the tax law, private equity and mergers & acquisitions areas. Niels Dejean joined the firm in 2002 after practicing for eighteen years with a major audit firm and then with a leading French corporate law firm. During his tenure with the accounting firm, Niels Dejean spent four years as the French tax desk in New York where he made partner before returning to Paris to head their French International Tax Group.
Niels Dejean has been cited as a leading tax lawyer in the Chambers’ Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers, in La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires and in France’s Best Lawyers 2012 Edition.
- Allianz SE in connection with its tender offer on AGF (2007)
- Ardagh Group S.A. on its acquisition of beverage can manufacturing assets and support locations in Europe, Brazil and the United States from manufacturing giants Ball Corporation and Rexam for $3.42bn (2016)
- AstraZeneca in connection with its acquisition of Novexel and the structuring of collaboration agreements to co-develop patents (2009-2010)
- AstraZeneca in connection with the sale to Minakem of its Dunkirk plant (2009)
- Caisse des Dépôts in connection with the business combination of Egis and Iosis (2011)
- Crédit du Nord in its acquisition of Société Marseillaise de Crédit (2010)
- The Coca-Cola Company in connection with various on-going tax matters
- Eurazeo in connection with its investment in Station Casinos (2007)
- Eutelsat in connection with the structuring and the simplification of the group’s organization chart (2007)
- Geoxia as debtor in connection with the restructuring of its capital and its debt (2009)
- ORBEO (a company jointly held by Rhodia and Société Générale) in connection with the acquisition of OneCarbon International BV (2009)
- Rexel in connection with its capital restructuring prior to the initial public offering of the company on Eurolist by Euronext Paris (2006)
- Advised the Management of Sagemcom group on the purchase of a majority stake by Charterhouse to the Carlyle Group (2016).
- Schneider Electric in its acquisition of Telvent and post-acquisition reorganization (2011-2012)
- Société Générale in connection with the combination of Société Générale's and Crédit Agricole's asset management businesses (2009-2010)
- Société Générale in connection with the sale of its Greek Subsidiary, Geniki Bank, to Piraeus Bank (2012)
Private Equity and Investment Funds
- Apax Partners in connection with the leveraged buyout and listing of Outremer Telecom (2005)
- The consortium formed by CDR, Merrill Lynch and Eurazeo in connection with the implementation of the Rexel management package (2005)
- Eurazeo in connection with the implementation of the Fraikin management package (2004)
- Eurazeo with respect to its acquisition of a 10% stake in I-Pulse, a high-technology company with assets in various jurisdictions including in the US and France (2012)
- Eurazeo in connection with the implementation of its private equity joint venture with Gruppo Banca Leonardo (2007)
- The family office Florac in connection with its investment along with Chequers in the TCR group (2012)
- Florac in the sale, alongside L Capital, Indigo Capital and the managers of Groupe SMCP, of Groupe SMCP (Sandro, Maje and Claudie Pierlot) to KKR
- Fondations Capital in the acquisition of Sepur (2012)
- The management team of Fondations Capital in connection with the creation of their first private equity fund, Fondations Capital SCA Sicar and its management company (2007)
- The management of Geoxia (Maisons Individuelles) in connection with the LMBO of Geoxia (2006)
- The management of Geoxia (Maisons Individuelles) in connection with the acquisition of Geoxia by LBO France (2009-2010)
- International Chemical Investors Group (ICIG) in its contemplated acquisition of the French and Italian pharmaceutical ingredients activities of Tessenderlo Group (2012)
- The management of Sagemcom in connection with the acquisition through a secondary buyout of Sagemcom by The Carlyle Group from the Gores Group (2011)
- The Management of Sagemcom in connection with the acquisition of Sagemcom by The Gores Group (2008)
- The Management of Sagem Wireless in connection with the acquisition of Safran’s wireless phone business by Sofinnova (2008)
- The Management of Sotralu in connection with the acquisition of Sotralu by Edmond de Rothschild Capital Partners (2008)
- Eurazeo as part of a consortium of investors and Eutelsat in the $2.4 billion leveraged recapitalization of Eutelsat (2005)
- Fondations Capital in connection with the leveraged recapitalization of Sepur Groupe
- L’Occitane Group in connection with the reorganization of its share capital and leveraged recapitalization (2007)
- Alstom in connexion with the public share buyback offer (OPRA) to be made by Alstom with respect to its own shares
- Alstom in connection with the carve-out and sale of its Power & Grid activities to General Electric
- Alstom in connection with the sale of its Railroad signaling activities to General Electric
- Bluebay Asset Management, as arranger and unitranche lender, on the refinancing of Bertrand group, taking the form of a unitranche issuance of €90 million. In addition, the finance provides for additional unitranche issues of a maximum of €30 million for the purpose of funding the group’s capital expenditure and permitted acquisitions
- Fagor Brandt in connection with EU litigation on State Aids (2007- 2009)
- Fondations Capital in its acquisition of Groupe Duroux
- Fraikin in connection with the implementation of its securitization program (2004)
- Lecta S.A. in connection with the structuring and the tax aspects of a Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of its high yield senior secured and senior unsecured floating rate notes. (2007)
- Sagemcom in connection with the reorganization of its business divisions (2009-2010)
- Sagemcom, a company controlled by The Carlyle Group, in connection with the carve-out and sale of its Retail activities to X-Trementreprise
- Vortex in the acquisition of 49% of EDP Renewables France SAS
Université Val-de-Marne (Paris XII)
D.E.S.S. Law degree specialized in International Tax Law
Awards & Accolades
- Chambers Europe 2017 – Tax
Niels Dejean is described as "very good and technical. When he makes a statement it is always thought through and objective. It is comforting to rest on his advice, especially when the topic is of a difficult nature." He advises predominantly on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
- Legal 500 2017 – Tax
Headed by the highly regarded Niels Dejean, the three-lawyer team advises on strategic matters, notably in M&A transactions or sensitive tax investigations. It assisted Alstom with the sale of its non-transport activities. The practice also advises the management in large LBO deals.
- Chamber Europe 2016 – Tax
Sources note that Niels Dejean has "good knowledge of the French tax system and how to navigate it." He complements his tax abilities with expertise in mergers and acquisitions.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2016 – Tax
Shearman & Sterling LLP advises on the largest M&A and private equity transactions and recently assisted Algeria’s national fund with the acquisition of a 51% stake in Omnium Télécom Algérie. The team advises many leading French and international corporations. Niels Dejean ranks among the best tax advisers in France. Counsel Anne-Sophie Maes is another name to note.
- Chamber Europe 2015 – Tax
Niels Dejean undertakes private equity and M&A matters alongside his tax practice.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2015 – Tax
Shearman & Sterling LLP advises on transactional tax matters and assisted Alstom with the sale of its non-transport activities to General Electric. Niels Dejean ranks among France’s top experts.
- Chambers Global 2014 – France
Niels Dejean's practice covers private equity and M&A as well as tax law. Market commentators note his high visibility and describe him as "clever, with good experience in corporate law and tax".
- Who's Who Legal France 2014 – Corporate Tax
Niels Dejean of Shearman & Sterling is described as "very sharp" and "highly efficient", with peers considering him a "must for inclusion" in this section.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2014 – France
Shearman & Sterling LLP’s Niels Dejean is highly regarded for his all-around tax expertise.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2013 – France
Shearman & Sterling LLP’s one-of-a-kind tax expert Niels Dejeanis ‘one of Paris’ top professionals for tax structuring’.