Alain Dermarkar is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
His practice focuses on national and international mergers and acquisitions, takeover preparedness, and special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs). Alain’s clients come from various industries including energy, technology, real estate, manufacturing, consumer products, health care, and construction.
Alain has completed more than $150 billion of transactions for public and private U.S., European, and Asian companies and private equity firms.
Alain also counsels clients on capital raising transactions and corporate governance.
- Reynolds American in its $49 billion acquisition by British American Tobacco
- JF Lehman in multiple transactions, including NRC Group's sale to a SPAC
- Newell Rubbermaid in its $16 billion acquisition of Jarden Corporation
- Tokyo Electron in multiple transactions, including its attempted $29 billion merger-of-equals with Applied Materials
- Reynolds American in its $5 billion sale to JT Group of the international rights to the Natural American Spirit brand name
- Reynolds American in its $27.4 billion acquisition of Lorillard and related $7.1 billion divestiture to Imperial Tobacco
- Granite Construction in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Layne Christensen for $536 million
- Oncor Electric Delivery Company in connection with Sempra Energy’s $18.8 billion total enterprise value acquisition of Energy Future Holdings Corp., Oncor’s majority owner
- Strike Capital in its proposed sale to a SPAC
- NRC Group in its $966 million acquisition by US Ecology
- Bridgestone Americas in its proposed $947 million acquisition of Pep Boys
- Connell Limited Partnership in multiple transactions, including its sale of Anchor Danly and AWC Manufacturing to Hidden Harbor Capital Partners
- Great Elm Capital Corp. and Great Elm Capital Group in multiple transactions, including Great Elm Capital Corp.’s acquisition of 80% of the equity of Prestige Capital Corporation
- Greystar Real Estate in its $2 billion sale of multifamily apartments to Blackstone
- Cardinal Health in its $1.115 billion acquisition of Harvard Drug Group
- Teradyne, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of Energid
- Viasystems in its $927 million acquisition by TTM
- Ajinomoto in its $800 million acquisition of Windsor Quality Foods
- Randstad in its $429 million acquisition of Monster Worldwide
- Mill Creek Residential Trust LLC and its management team in its acquisition by the Arizona State Retirement System
- Capital Southwest in its tax-free spin-off of CSW Industries
- Century Aluminum’s acquisition of substantially all of the assets of the Sebree aluminum from Rio Tinto Alcan, Inc.
Georgetown University Law Center
J.D., cum laude
- Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
B.S.B.A., magna cum laude
Awards & Accolades
- Named a “Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers (2018, 2017, 2016, and 2015)
- Recipient of “Emerging Leaders Award” by M&A Advisor (2016)
- D Magazine, “Best Lawyers in Dallas” (2018, 2016)