James Duncan is a partner in the Derivatives & Structured Products practice.
He focuses on derivatives and structured products and has extensive experience of derivatives across the full range of asset classes. In addition, he advises on the structured finance aspects of M&A, asset finance and leveraged finance transactions. James has notable expertise in equity financing transactions involving equity derivatives and margin loans for both lenders and borrowers.
- The Frigoglass group on completing the restructuring of its existing indebtedness, which included €250 million 8.25 percent senior notes due 2018 issued by Frigoglass Finance and over €80 million of existing bank debt across eight facilities agreements.
- The lenders in connection with India’s first synthetic rupee denominate margin loan.
- Lenders and borrowers on numerous other margin loans and equity financing transactions.
- Liberty Global on its novel cross-currency hedging transaction to hedge exposure to foreign exchange risk in respect of the Jamaican dollar following its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications.
- Alpha Bank and Eurobank on the agreement they have reached with KKR Credit in which the banks agree to assign the management of certain exposures to a selected number of Greek companies into a platform managed by Pillarstone.
- Piraeus Bank S.A. on its €4,933 million recapitalization.
- Attica bank on its recent securitization of non-performing loans.
- Eurobank Ergasias S.A. on its €2.04 billion recapitalization.
- The lenders in connection with negotiating and agreeing the hedging provisions of the senior finance documents related to the debt financing of the Facility D IWPP in Qatar.
- The lenders in connection with negotiating and agreeing the hedging provisions of the senior finance documents related to the debt financing of the Bahrain LNG regasification terminal project.
- Aditya Birla, a multinational Indian corporation valued at approximately $41 billion, in connection with its $925 million refinancing of existing facilities of certain of its subsidiaries.
- Banks, corporates and other counterparties on a wide range of OTC derivative transactions including equity derivatives, credit derivatives, interest rate and FX derivatives, fund-linked derivatives, longevity derivatives, commodity derivatives and inflation derivatives.
- Clients in connection with corporate equity derivative transactions involving a wide range of documentation and techniques including prepaid forwards, total returns swaps, put and call options, repos and stock loans and related security and collateral documentation.
- Swap providers, borrowers, lenders, issuers and other parties on the hedging and related intercreditor arrangements in respect of numerous structured and other financing transactions.
- Clients in connection with numerous structured note issues, repackagings and other SPV based transactions relating to an extensive range of asset classes.
- Clients in connection with establishing and updating of numerous structured MTN and other programmes and advising on drawdowns under those programmes.
- Clients in connection with the close-out and valuation of numerous derivative positions as well as the unwind and/or novation of numerous transactions, including structured notes.
- Clients in connection with the restructuring and amendment of numerous derivative transactions including as part of the restructuring of wider, complex structured debt transactions.
College of Law, York
Trinity College, Cambridge
M.A., First Class Honours
Awards & Accolades
- James is ranked as a lawyer in Legal 500 UK, 2017 and is ranked as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 2017.