Marwan Elaraby is the EMEA Regional Managing Partner and a partner in the Capital Markets and Mergers & Acquisitions practices.
Marwan advises advises clients on M&A, private equity and project development transactions, as well as governments on strategic and regulatory matters. He also advises both issuers and underwriters on initial public offerings and bond offerings.
Marwan represents corporate and private equity clients including Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), Public Investment Fund, EFG-Hermes, Emaar Misr, Gulf Capital, Ripplewood Advisors, Investcorp, GB Capital, NMC Healthcare LLC, Qalaa Holdings and Satya Capital.
- ADNOC Distribution on its initial public offering and Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange listing, one of the largest public offerings in the UAE and one of the first listings to be done under the Emirates Securities & Commodities Authority’s new listing regulation.
- Currently representing the underwriters in connection with the proposed privatisation, initial public offering and listing on the Egyptian Stock Exchange and London Stock Exchange of Banque du Caire.
- The initial purchasers on Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline LLC’s inaugural $3.037 billion bond offering.
- The initial purchasers on the $814 million bond offering by ACWA Power Management and Investments One Limited.
- Emaar Misr on its approximately $300 million initial public offering and listing of shares on the Egyptian Stock Exchange.
- The underwriters on the initial public offering of Edita Food Industries S.A.E. on the Egyptian Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange.
- The underwriters on the initial public offering and London Stock Exchange listing of Integrated Diagnostics Holdings plc.
- EFG Hermes Promoting and Underwriting, as sole global coordinator and bookrunner, on the initial public offering and listing on the Egyptian Stock Exchange of Cleopatra Hospital Company, the second IPO on the Egyptian Stock Exchange.
Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
- ADNOC on the disposal of an interest in ADNOC Refining to Eni and OMV where the company was valued at c. $19 billion.
- ADNOC on a strategic investment with OCI NV.
- ADNOC on a strategic investment in global storage terminal owner and operator VTTI.
- NMC Healthcare LLC on its proposed acquisition of a stake in a Saudi listed company.
- Investcorp on the launch of a joint venture with Aberdeen Standard Investments that will invest in infrastructure projects in Gulf Cooperation Council countries.
- Investcorp on the launch of a joint venture that will invest in the Asia food sector.
- GB Finance and GAIA Lux S.a.r.l on the EGP 750 million sale of a one-third stake in MNT Investments B.V. to ADP II Holding 9 S.a.r.l.
- EFG Hermes UAE Limited (EFG Hermes), a wholly owned subsidiary of EFG Hermes Holding S.A.E, on its acquisition of a 50 percent stake in Frontier Investment Management (FIM).
- Gulf Capital on an investment in a Gulf-based auction business.
- Ripplewood Advisors on several investments in the Middle East.
- HM Partners on its creation of a new hard-discount retail operation in Egypt under the brand “Kazyon”.
- Qalaa Holdings, an African leader in infrastructure and industry, on an asset exchange transaction with one of its major co-investors.
- A prominent Saudi Arabian Family Office on its minority investment in a large Dubai-based real estate venture.
- The Dow Chemical Company on the sale of its ownership interest in MEGlobal to EQUATE Petrochemical Company K.S.C. for $1.5 billion in pre-tax proceeds.
- MENA Infrastructure Fund on the sale, by way of auction, of a 30.3% indirect interest in Alexandria International Container Terminals.
- ADNOC on the $4.5 billion refined products for crude oil supply arrangements with Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation and the Government of the Republic of Egypt.
Project Development & Finance
- SACE and commercial lenders on the $1.2 billion financing of a refinery upgrade project in Egypt.
Columbia University School of Law
American University in Cairo
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked in Band 2 for UAE Capital Markets: Equity by Chambers Global 2020
- Ranked in Band 2 for UAE Corporate/M&A by Chambers Global 2020
- Ranked in Band 3 for Middle East-wide Capital Markets: Equity by Chambers Global 2020
- Ranked in Band 3 for Middle East-wide Corporate/M&A by Chambers Global 2020
- Ranked as a Foreign Expert in Egypt by Chambers Global 2020
- Ranked as an Expert Based Abroad for Corporate/M&A in Egypt by Chambers Global 2020
- Highly regarded for M&A and Private Equity by IFLR1000 2020
- Awarded MENA Regional M&A Legal Advisor of the Year at the Mergermarket Awards 2018 and 2019
- Marwan Elaraby receives high praise from sources, being noted as “a phenomenal lawyer” who “really understands the commercial side” – Chambers Global 2020
- Clients depict Marwan as “a phenomenal lawyer – a multifaceted guy who is really excellent. He really understands the commercial side” – Chambers Global 2020
- Marwan Elaraby is regarded as a “fantastic” lawyer and “the main man” within the firm’s Egypt practice – Chambers Global 2020
- Clients say that Marwan Elaraby is “definitely one of the best lawyers around for sure” – Chambers Global 2019
- Praised for “leading a team that gave an outstanding performance” – Chambers Global 2019
- “Marwan Elaraby is picked out by peers as one of the best lawyers in the region” – Chambers Global 2018
- Clients have told Chambers Global 2018 that Marwan is “very well respected” and “has a very practical commercial background and is deeply entrenched in the market”