Iain Elder is a partner in the Project Development & Finance practice.
Iain represents sponsors and lenders on the development and financing of large energy and infrastructure projects throughout the Middle East and Africa. Iain is the Europe and Middle East Project Development & Finance Team Leader and heads the Africa strategy for the Project Development & Finance practice.
Iain's clients include commercial banks, Islamic lenders, export credit agencies, development financial institutions, multi-lateral agencies as well as sponsors including the Bahrain Petroleum Company, the Mubadala Group, The Dow Chemical Company and Dolphin Energy.
- UCC Group its joint venture with Borealis AG to develop a gas separation unit project and a polyethylene project in Atyrau, Kazakhstan, totaling approximately $8 billion of investment
- Bahrain Petroleum Company B.S.C. (BAPCO) on the development and financing of its $6 billion refinery upgrade and modernisation program, Bahrain
- The developing consortium on a greenfield refinery project in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Dow on its $20 billion joint venture with Saudi Aramco to develop and finance the Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project in Jubail Industrial City, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- PETRONAS on the development and financing of its $28 billion RAPID integrated refinery and petrochemicals project with Saudi Aramco in Malaysia
- OneLNG in relation to the development and financing of the Fortuna floating liquefaction project offshore Equatorial Guinea
- Golar Power in relation to the development of the Porto de Sergipe LNG-to-Power project in Brazil
- Banagas (a subsidiary of nogaholding) on the construction of additional gas liquids extraction facilities in Bahrain
- A State Nuclear Authority in North Africa on the development and financing of four 1,200 MW nuclear new build reactors by Rosatom
- The lending group to Mubadala and Siemens on the financing of the Northern Emirates 2,000 MW CCGT Power Project
- The lending group (K-EXIM, IsDB and commercial banks) to Engie on its development and financing of the 1,500 MW Fadhili CHP IPP in Saudi Arabia
- The lending group to Marubeni on its current bid for the 1,800 MW AZN2 IPP in Kuwait
- Masdar (Future Energy Company) on its development and financing of the 158 MW Čibuk 1 Wind Farm in the Republic of Serbia
- Masdar and Bee’ah in respect of the development and financing of a 30 MW waste to energy facility in the Emirate of Sharjah
- The lending group to the Marubeni and Jinko consortium on their development and financing of the 350 MW Sweihan Solar IPP in Abu Dhabi
- Bank Muscat on the financing of the Musandam IPP in Oman
University of Liverpool
Chester Law School
Awards & Accolades
- Widely regarded in Chambers Global for his strength in "renewable and power projects." (2017)
- Listed a leading practitioner for Projects and Energy by Chambers Global (2017).
- Published an article "Supreme Court Ruling on Brexit: Implications and Next Step for the UK Energy Sector."