Robert Freedman is one of the firm’s Energy Industry Leaders and a partner in the Project Development & Finance practice.
He focuses on finance and development, asset acquisitions and dispositions, and complex work-outs and restructurings of infrastructure assets across the breadth of infrastructure sectors, including power, renewables and sustainable development, oil and gas, and transportation.
Robert’s clients include major corporations, private equity and other institutional investors and banks and others financial institutions.
- MUFG Bank, Ltd., as administrative agent and coordinating lead arranger, and the lenders and issuing banks in connection with the back leveraged financing for a portfolio of six solar projects owned indirectly by Consolidated Edison Development, Inc. located in Fresno County, California, Clark County, Nevada and Maricopa County, Arizona
- OMERS Infrastructure Management on its acquisition of the wind developer, Leeward Renewable Energy, from affiliates of ArcLight Capital Partners
- The joint lead arrangers and lenders in connection with a senior secured loan facility to Stonepeak Kestrel Holdings LLC in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the equity interests in GenOn Holdco, LLC, the owner of the Canal 1 and Canal 2 Generating Facilities, with a combined generating capacity of approximately 1112 MW, located in Sandwich, Massachusetts.
- The private placement investors in connection with the financing for the acquisition of a 23.8% ownership interest in the Bath County Hydro Power Plant located in Bath County, Virginia by affiliates of LS Power
- The private placement investors and letter of credit bank on the placement of senior secured fixed rate term notes and a senior secured letter of credit facility for several of ConEd Development’s photovoltaic solar and wind projects in Texas and California
- General Electric in its sale of GE Energy Financial Services' Project Finance Debt Business to Starwood Property Trust, Inc.
- The sponsors, including GE Energy Financial Services, in connection with a senior secured private placement and bank facility, to finance the development and operation of an approximately 850 MW greenfield combined cycle natural gas-fired power plant in the Axapusco municipality located outside of Mexico City, Mexico
- GE Capital Global Holdings, LLC on its acquisition of a 24.99% stake in YPF Energía Eléctrica from YPF S.A.
- The lenders, including GE Financial Services, in connection with a financing for the construction of an approximately 485 MW combined-cycle natural gas-fired electric generation facility being developed by affiliates of Ares EIF and EmberClear in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
- BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, as coordinating lead arrangers and joint bookrunners, on the financing of the St. Joseph Energy Center, a nameplate 700 MW combined-cycle natural gas-fired electric generation facility located in Indiana
- GE Energy Financial Services on the sale of its equity interest in the Linden Cogeneration Facility, first to Highstar Capital and then to Ares EIF Group
Georgetown University Law Center
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked Band 1 for Projects – USA – Nationwide by Chambers USA 2019
- Listed as a Foreign Expert in Latin America by Chambers Global 2019
- Named a Leading Lawyer by IFLR1000 2019, IFLR1000 2018
- Lauded by clients for his “superb business acumen and legal understanding,” Robert Freedman is recognized as a “highly respected” and leading lawyer in project finance by Chambers & Partners, IFLR 1000, Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers in Project Finance and International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers.
- Clients tell Chambers USA that Robert is “a great guy and a fabulous lawyer,” has “brilliant business acumen and understanding,” and that “he has a great intellect and is practical and easy to work with.”