Geert Goeteyn is a partner in the Antitrust practice.
He focuses on all areas of EU competition, merger and regulatory law. He is qualified to practice law in Belgium as well as in England and Wales, and holds an LLM in European Law.
Geert has represented a large number of clients in a wide variety of industries including agricultural seeds, automotive, aviation, biotechnology, consumer goods, oil, paper, telecommunications and high-tech. He advises clients on complex antitrust issues including merger remedy cases, cartel related issues (both in the context of European Commission investigations and private damages actions) and abuse of dominance cases.
- Bunge. Acting for Bunge in relation to the acquisition of joint control together with IOI over Loders.
- Etihad. Advising Etihad in relation to the possible sale of its stake in Air Berlin.
- Chemicals business. Advising a chemicals business on the possible acquisition of a competitor in the silicones sector.
- Nokia. Acting for Nokia in relation to the sale of the Nokia HERE mapping business to a consortium of three car manufacturers.
- ICIG. Representing ICIG in its acquisition of the divestment assets sold by INEOS pursuant to remedies in the INEOS/Solvay conditional merger clearance decision.
- Syniverse. Lead counsel for Syniverse in relation to the investigation by the European Commission, as well as a number of other non-EU competition authorities, of its proposed acquisition of sole control over MACH. The proposed transaction, considered to be a 2-to-1 in a number of areas, was cleared by the Commission, subject to remedies.
- Syniverse. Representing Syniverse in its acquisition of BSG. The team was brought in at the time of the opening of the in-depth Phase II investigation and obtained unconditional clearance.
- Nokia. Advising Nokia on certain merger specific issues arising from the acquisition by Microsoft of Nokia’s handset business.
- Nokia. Advising Nokia on merger and antitrust related issues arising from patent related transactions and mergers.
- NAVTEQ. Representing NAVTEQ (subsequently HERE) in its acquisition by Nokia.
- United Airlines. Representing United in the European Commission’s investigation of the merger with Continental which was cleared unconditionally.
- A financial institution. Representing in an ongoing European Commission cartel investigation relating to FOREX.
- Cargolux. Representing Cargolux in its successful appeal to the EU General Court against the European Commission’s decision in the Air Cargo cartel case. On 16 December 2015, the General Court annulled the Commission’s decision in its entirety in so far as Cargolux was concerned. The annulment of the Commission’s cartel decision was awarded “Matter of the Year” by Global Competition Review and “Global Legal Award for Global Dispute of the Year: International Litigation” by The American Lawyer.
- Cargolux. Advising Cargolux on antitrust related procedural issues arising in the context of the UK follow-on damages claims.
- Major Asian manufacturing company. Part of the team representing the manufacturer in the European Commission’s current cartel capacitors investigation.
- Confidential. Conducting a post transaction in-depth investigation on behalf of the acquiring company into possible cartel behaviour by employees of the acquired business.
- Microsoft. Advising Microsoft in relation to the European Commission’s current Android investigation.
- Hanjin. Part of the team acting for Hanjin in the European Commission’s liner shipping price signalling investigation.
- Nokia. Representing Nokia in its response to a complaint lodged with the European Commission.
- HERE. Advising HERE, a digital mapping business on all areas of antitrust law.
- SAS, Finnair, British Airways, JAL, Iberia. Advising these (and other) carriers on all competition law issues arising from proposed alliance related initiatives.
- United Airlines. Successfully defended United in the European Commission’s air cargo investigation (all allegations were dropped). In addition, advising United Airlines on a number of alliances, most recently its fully integrated “metal neutral” A++ transatlantic joint venture with Air Canada, Continental and Lufthansa.
- Qualcomm Inc. Represented Qualcomm Inc. in the European Commission’s first investigation regarding complaints lodged by Nokia, Ericsson, NEC, Panasonic, Texas Instruments and Broadcom. Qualcomm abused a dominant position by engaging in a number of practices.
College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium
Cass Business School London
M.Sc. (Shipping, Trade and Finance)
University of Leuven
Bachelor of Laws
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Advokaat, Flemish Bar, Brussels, Belgium
Awards & Accolades
- Global Competition Review: “Matter of the Year” and The American Lawyer: “Global Legal Award for Global Dispute of the Year: International Litigation”; both awards are for the successful appeal by Cargolux (and a number of other carriers) against the Commission’s decision in the Air Cargo cartel, resulting in its annulment.
- Guest lecturer at Leiden University: module on EU competition law and its application in the aviation industry at the LLM Air and Space Law, Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member of the Management Committee, European Air Law Association