Michael Guippone is an associate in the Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice.
He represents debtors, creditors, financial institutions, hedge funds, bondholder groups, ad hoc creditor groups, acquirers of assets, and other parties in interest in large and complex Chapter 11 bankruptcies, out-of-court workouts, and adversary proceedings.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Michael was an associate at an international law firm and clerked with the Honorable Judges Carla E. Craig and Elizabeth S. Stong at the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Fallbrook Technologies, Inc. Chapter 11 Cases: Represented Fallbrook Technologies Inc., a transmission technology company, in connection with its Chapter 11 cases
- Pacific Drilling Inc. Chapter 11 Cases: Represented Citibank, N.A. as agent and lender under a revolving credit agreement for Pacific Drilling S.A.
- Scottish Re Group Chapter 11 Cases: Represented Joint Liquidators of Scottish Re Group Limited appointed by the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands
- Barbados Sovereign Debt Restructuring: Represented Barbados Creditor Group in connection with restructuring of the sovereign debt of Barbados
- The Boston Herald Chapter 11 Cases: Represented the Boston Globe as a major unsecured creditor/contract counterparty of HMH Media Inc.
- Avaya, Inc. Chapter 11 Cases: Represented the Second Lien Notes Trustee in the Chapter 11 cases of Avaya, Inc. and certain of its affiliates
- EB Holdings II, Inc. (Eco-Bat): Represented the Administrative Agent initiating involuntary bankruptcy proceedings against EB Holdings II, Inc., parent company to Eco-Bat Technologies
- Energy XXI Ltd. Chapter 11 cases: Represented indenture trustee and steering committee of bond holders in connection with the Chapter 11 cases of Energy XXI Ltd. and certain of its affiliates
- Texas Competitive Electric Holdings (TCEH): Represented a group of lenders in letter of credit payment priority litigation related to the Chapter 11 cases of TCEH
- Lyondell: Represented various banks, broker-dealers and other institutions in obtaining the dismissal with prejudice of billions of dollars in fraudulent transfer claims arising out of the Lyondell leveraged buy-out and subsequent Chapter 11 cases
- TLO LLC: Represented one of the nation’s leading credit scoring agencies and acquirer of substantially all of the assets of TLO LLC out of bankruptcy in the successful prosecution of third parties for contempt of court for violating the bankruptcy court's sale order
- Honorable Carla E. Craig, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Honorable Elizabeth S. Stong, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, New York City Bar Association