Gary Hamp is a partner in our Finance practice based in London.
He specialises in acquisition and leveraged finance, distressed investments, structured secured lending, and debt restructurings and workouts. Gary advises financial institutions, corporations, and private equity sponsors across an extensive range of financings and also works closely with leading debt and restructuring advisors.
Gary has been working on cutting edge financing transactions in Asia for over a decade and has extensive experience advising across Europe. He has been continuously recognised as a leading individual in banking and finance by The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, and Chambers Asia. He is commended as being “a formidable yet charming negotiator with an acute grasp of technical matters and a zest to close deals.” (Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2019). It's also noted that “Gary Hamp is able to balance impressive intellectual acuity with humility and empathy.” (The Legal 500 UK 2022).
- VIA Outlets B.V. in connection with VIA's €600 million inaugural green bond financing and €100 million revolving credit facility.
- The initial purchasers in connection with the offering of €550 million senior secured notes in the context of the acquisition of Agrifarma by Cinven and the mandated lead arrangers in the context of an €80 million revolving credit facility in connection with the financing of the acquisition.
- The shareholder in connection with the restructuring and sale of the Ligue 1 Football Club Girondins de Bordeaux by way of an ad hoc mandate and conciliation proceeding.
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with Loxam Group's €345 million five-year senior secured revolving credit facility.
- The initial purchasers on the inaugural high yield notes offering of £600 million senior secured notes for Punch Finance plc’s, a Patron Capital company, and the arrangers in connection with Punch’s super senior revolving facilities agreement and intercreditor agreement.
- The initial purchasers in connection with Consolis Group S.A.S.’s €300 million senior secured notes by Compact Bidco B.V.
- Lead arrangers in connection with the €1.2 billion financing of SYNLAB, a Cinven portfolio company.
- Investcorp in connection with the refinancing of Viz Branz's existing facilities with a $180 million term loan and revolving credit senior facilities agreement.
- Lenders in connection with the first lien financing in support of the acquisition by the Cinven-backed Barentz Group of the CI Capital-backed Maroon Group, as well as on the PIK Notes financing in support of the acquisition.
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with the structured €1 billion financing in support of the acquisition by a consortium led by Tencent Holdings of a minority stake in Universal Music Group.*
- CDH Capital Partners in connection with the financing for their acquisition of a European based consumer products business.*
- The Carlyle Group in connection with the HK$1.2 billion term loan facility in connection with Carlyle and CITIC's privatisation of Asia Satellite Telecommunications Holdings Limited, a provider of telecommunications services.*
- The Arrangers in connection with the €4 billion recourse and non-recourse financing in connection with the acquisition of Amer Sports Corporation, a sporting goods company, by a consortium of investors led by Anta Sports and FountainVest Partners.*
- Partners Group in connection with the financing for its acquisition of SPi Global, a Philippines-based provider of outsourced services to education, science, technical, and medical research publishers.*
- BNP Paribas as lead arranger for a number of financings for Alvogen Emerging Markets Holdings Limited, a pharmaceutical company focused on developing, manufacturing, and selling generic, brand, OTC, and biosimilar products.*
- The Mandated Lead Arrangers, including HSBC, BNP Paribas, ANZ, and E. Sun Commercial Bank, in connection with the term, capital expenditure, and revolving credit facilities for the Pure Fitness Group in connection with its acquisition by FountainVest Partners and Ontario Teacher’ Pension Plan Board.*
- Lodgis Hospitality Holdings Pte., a hotel investment platform formed through a joint venture between Warburg Pincus and Vinacapital Ltd., in connection with a US$81 million term loan facility in connection with Warburg Pincus' acquisition of Ho Tram Project Company, a developer of the Ho Tram Strip, a group of integrated resorts and residential development.*
- Barings Asset Management Limited in connection with a US$63 million term loan facilities in connection with its acquisition of Genea Limited, an owner of fertility clinics that provides reproductive technology products and services by a consortium of investors led by Mason Group.*
- Warburg Pincus in connection with US$8 billion committed financing in connection with the acquisition of Global Logistic Properties, a Singapore-based provider of logistics facilities.*
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with US$3.5 billion financing in connection with Tencent Holdings’ acquisition of Supercell Oy, a Finland-based mobile games developer.*
- Warburg Pincus in connection with the financing of the acquisition by Athena Investment Company (Cayman) Limited of ARA Asset Management Limited, a Singapore-based real estate fund manager.*
*Denotes prior firm experience
College of Law
Keble College, University of Oxford
BA in Jurisprudence
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
Awards & Accolades
- Ranked as a “Key Lawyer” in The Legal 500 UK 2022 for Acquisition Finance and Bank Lending: Investment Grade Debt and Syndicated Loans
- Ranked in Band 2 in Chambers Global 2020 for Banking & Finance: Leveraged & Acquisition Finance (International Firms) in China
- Ranked in Band 3 in Chambers Global 2020 for Banking & Finance: Hong Kong-based (International Firms) in China
- Ranked as a “Leading Individual” in Legal 500 2020 for Banking and Finance
“Highly Regarded” in IFLR 1000 2020 for Banking and Finance Publications
- Co-author, "ESG Update: UK Government Releases Roadmap to Sustainable Living" 28 October 2021