Ethan Harris is a partner in the Tax practice.
He focuses on transactions, which includes structuring and negotiating the tax aspects of domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate spin-offs, as well as capital markets transactions. He also handles private equity transactions, including negotiating and structuring investments by sovereign wealth funds. In addition, he assists multi-national clients with respect to internal planning strategies and restructurings and audits and other tax controversy matters.
Ethan’s clients include major corporations, financial institutions and sovereign wealth funds, including Liberty Global, Bank of America and China Investment Corporation.
- WebMD in its acquisition by KKR unit Internet Brands
- General Electric Company on the combination of GE Oil & Gas with Baker Hughes, Inc.
- Bank of America as underwriters for the initial public offerings of Venator Materials PLC and Valvoline Inc.
- Liberty Global in its acquisition of Cable & Wireless Communications Plc, its issuance of tracking stock representing its Latin American cable business and its acquisition of Virgin Media, Inc. and related formation of a new U.K. public parent company
- Spin-off and split-off transactions, including Marriott International, Inc.’s spin-off of its timeshare business and related innovative loss generating transaction
Georgetown University Law Center
LL.M., with highest distinction
George Washington University Law School
J.D., with highest honors
- District of Columbia
- New York
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized as a “Next Generation Lawyer” in International Tax by The Legal 500 (2017)
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Law 360 (2015)
- Seconded to China Investment Corporation (2010)