Esther Jansen is a partner in the Finance practice.
With many years of transaction experience and a strong corporate law background, Esther focuses on syndicated lending, combined bank/bond financings, real estate and receivables based financings and restructurings. She advises German and international banks, funds, corporates and investors on domestic and cross-border finance transactions.
Esther represents leading financial institutions, such as Commerzbank, Deutsche Bank and BNP Paribas and corporates including Allianz, Ardagh and NH Hotels as well as investors such as CITIC, International Chemical Investors and Deutsche Beteiligungs AG.
- BNP Paribas on the financing of the acquisition of shares in RHÖN-KLINIKUM AG and of the announced takeover offer by Asklepios Kliniken GmbH & Co. KGaA
- Albemarle Corporation in connection with its offering of $200 million floating rate notes due 2022 and Albemarle Wodgina Pty Ltd in connection with its $300 million notes offering of 3.450% senior notes due 2029, guaranteed by Albemarle Corporation
- Trivium Packaging B.V. on a $250 million asset based revolving financing, agented by Citibank, N.A. and in connection with its offering of $2.85 billion of notes
- Continental AG on the financing aspects of the acquisition of Kathrein Automotive GmbH
- Warner Music Group on the financing aspects of the acquisition of EMP Merchandising Handelsgesellschaft mbH
- J.P. Morgan Securities plc as sole bookrunner on Radisson’s offering of €250 million 6.875% senior secured notes
- Goldman Sachs International, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, Banca Akros S.p.A. Gruppo Banco BPM, Banca IMI and Raiffeisen Bank International on KME AG’s €300 million offering of its 6¾% senior secured notes
- Allianz in connection with financing aspects of the sale of its majority stake in Oldenburgische Landesbank
- CITIC Capital in relation to its co-investment in Formel D
- Ardagh group on several bond issuances and bank financing
International Chemical Investors Group on an export credit financing for VYNOVA Belgium N.V. and the refinancing of the Corden Pharma Group
- Joint bookrunners, led by Deutsche Bank on DEA’s debut €400 million offering of senior notes
- Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG) on the financing of various acquisitions (e.g. Pfaudler Process Solutions and ACC Climate Control)
University of Heidelberg
University of Leuven
- Wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht (VGR)
- Bankrechtliche Vereinigung – Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Bankrecht e.V. (BrV)
- Member of the Foundation Board of the Institute for Law and Finance of the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main
Awards & Accolades
- Esther is a recommended lawyer in the field of bank lending and acquisition finance in JUVE Handbook Germany 2018/2019, Chambers Global and Chambers Europe 2018 (Recognized Practitioner), IFLR1000 2018 (Notable Practitioner) and The Legal 500 2018.
- Described as “unique lawyer, absolutely terrific, in-depth expert knowledge”, “stable and good relationship” in JUVE Handbook Germany 2016/2017
- “Key figures in Shearman & Sterling LLP's restructured team in Germany are Winfried Carli and Esther Jansen.” – The Legal 500 2015
- Competitors praise Esther's “very good, constructive cooperation” in JUVE Handbook Germany 2013/2014