Sarah Kahloun is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
Her experience includes SCC, UNCITRAL and CRCICA arbitrations, with a focus on disputes in the oil & gas sector.
Prior to joining Shearman & Sterling, Sarah worked as an oil & gas analyst and a natural gas and LNG trader in France and in Australia.
International arbitrations on which Sarah Kahloun has worked include the representation of:
- Five gas importers, Respondents in SCC and UNCITRAL arbitrations in Stockholm initiated by an upstream supplier. The disputes arise from a gas price revision clause in long-term supply contracts. Swedish law applies.
- A Middle Eastern State-owned gas company, Respondent in a CRCICA arbitration in Cairo brought by a European energy company. The dispute arises from a gas supply agreement. Egyptian law applies.
- An Egyptian State-owned entity in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm arising from an oil concession. Egyptian law applied.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Respondent in a UNCITRAL arbitration initiated by Global Telecom Holding SAE (formerly known as Orascom Telecom Holding). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Egypt bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $16 billion was at stake.
- A North American agribusiness company, Respondent in an ICC arbitration initiated by European agribusiness companies. The dispute related to the parties’ rights of use with respect to proprietary biotechnology. French law applied.
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company, Claimants in a series of three UNCITRAL arbitrations in The Hague against the Russian Federation in relation to the expropriation of their investment in the company. The claims were brought under the Energy Charter Treaty.
École des Mines de Paris
Mastère in Gas Engineering (Postgraduate Master)
Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master 2 Anglo-American Business Law
Master 1 Business Law
Master 1 Financial Management
- Member, LCIA (YIAG)
- Member, Young SIAC (YSIAC)
- Member, HK45