Alfred Kossmann is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice.
Alfred focuses on corporate law and mergers and acquisitions, including restructuring of business groups and joint ventures. He has extensive experience in structuring cross-border private and public mergers and public take-overs, combined with in-depth industry knowledge with a focus on the healthcare and chemical industries. Alfred has also significant experience with start-up transactions.
Alfred provides advice to management boards and supervisory boards in respect of corporate law matters, including compliance issues, and M&A matters. He also provides financial investors with transactional advice.
Alfred frequently publishes articles in German law journals.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation on the acquisition of all shares in Cleanpart Group GmbH from Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
- Andlinger & Co and other shareholders on the sale of SUSPA GmbH
- Coesia on the acquisition of the card system, packaging and digital printing business of Orell Füssli
- Shareholders of MeinAuto GmbH on the sale of their shares to HgCapital
- Etihad in connection with its investments in Air Berlin
- Albemarle on the $3.2 billion divestiture of Chemetall-Group to BASF
- Financial investor in connection with an investment in HelloFresh SE
- General Electric on the $3.25 billion divestiture of its distributed power business to Advent International and of central parts of Alstom’s heavy duty gas turbine business to Ansaldo Energia in connection with its acquisition of Alstom’s power and grid business as well as on the acquisition of Avio s.p.a.
- HeidelbergCement in the sale of its North American (excluding Western Canada) and United Kingdom building products business to a subsidiary of Lone Star Funds
- Celanese AG in connection with a public tender offer by Blackstone, the first buy out of a financial investor in respect of a Dax 30 corporation
- Hypo Real Estate AG in connection with the initial public offering of the Pfandbriefbank and earlier in connection with a recapitalization, a public tender for all of its outstanding shares by the Federal Republic of Germany and a public tender offer for up to 24.9% of its shares by a consortium led by J.C. Flowers
Duke University School of Law
University of Bonn
- Deutsch-Amerikanische Juristen-Vereinigung e.V. (DAJV)
- Deutsch-Israelische Juristenvereinigung e.V. (DJV)
Awards & Accolades
- Alfred is listed as a frequently recommended lawyer for Corporate and M&A in Chambers Europe and Global 2018, JUVE 2018/2019, The Legal 500 2018 and IFLR1000 (Notable Practitioner 2018) as well as leading lawyer in WiWo 2018.